Author: silenced

Constant Increase in Crime in China. The true cause. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-5-28 18:48:42 |Display all floors

It's yours, so live with it.

While my personal philosophy is that some other country's legal system is none of my business, in other parts of the world we simply shake our heads sometimes of the serious flaws in the American justice system.

One of the problems seems to be that laws and punishment in the US serve only to satisfy people's sense of righteous anger, and often measures implemented have absolutely no effect in the real world, other than to create a huge prison population.

Take the so-called 'war on drugs', a total and monumental failure whose only effect was to increase drug use in America every year since it's inception.

Yet ask the average American, and they still think that it's a good idea to lock people up for taking drugs. This is despite the fact that the war on drugs has had zero effect on the supply of drugs, zero effect on the demand for drugs and that the easiest place to get drugs in the US is inside a prison!

It's not just Americans though. Humans seem to a perverse belief that if something is not working, all you need to do is increase the magnitude.
Drug laws not working? We need more drug laws!
Theft laws not working? We need tougher sentencing!
Capital punishment not working? Let's execute their families as well!
Iraqi's not welcoming us as their liberators after shooting them? Let's shoot some more of them!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-28 19:38:09 |Display all floors

Aah, guys

This is the CHINA daily forum and we're discussing crime in china, who gives a rats a$$ about US crime statistics, sentencing laws and liberal judges. That's another thread, I'm sure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-29 13:44:14 |Display all floors

What a joke...this whole thread had better be some form of advanced satire!

Yes ...and what do about the foreign petty crime in China? LOL. I want ALL your cell-phones!!Muahahaha.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.