Views: 1688|Replies: 0

EU parliament election [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-27 10:21:18 |Display all floors
Although many of you possibly do not know it and even Europeans are often quite shortsighted when it comes to this but recently the citizens of the EU elected a new parliament.

The folly of many Europeans is that they did not yet grasp that the parliament is more powerful than ever and voting can have.a.real impact on the EU politics. As expected a high percentage of EU sceptics voted and so strengthened Anti-EU-parties. Some of them could be called outright right-winged extremists like French Front National.

On the other hand the Dutch Geert Wilders lost about 5%.

So in the end the anti-EU parties were strengthened. We can just be glad that they did not.became that strong that they will have a real impact on the politics which will also be caused by strong frictions which makes it impossible to form an united opposition. On the other hand the EU citizen can expect now great theatre from Brussels and the other parties will have to deal with populistic questions.

That is great since this might raise the awareness of the real work of the parliament and make the next election more interesting.

Now the question is wether Juncker or Schulz will lead the EU. Juncker is favoured by Merckel while Schulz is not being favoured directly but not as opposed as Juncker. Cameron does not want Juncker and Orban does not support him as well.

This might become interesting.

I for my part favour someone who will act independently from the EU governments and so can be critical of things like TIPP. I do not see Juncker being that person who can be called a puppet of Merkel. Schulz is more like that.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.