Views: 1637|Replies: 3

Funny misunderstandings when you learn Chinese [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-5-19 17:17:27 |Display all floors
As we know, the Chinese language has four distinct tones and a neutral (toneless) tone. When learning Chinese it's important to properly distinguish the tones to avoid misunderstands and possibly sounding rude.

One of my foreign friends shared a funny story of his:

One day, he  wanted to ask for directions, asked a girl "我可以吻你吗?" (Wǒ kě yǐ wěn nǐ ma?)    meaning "can I kiss you?". Naturally, the first response of the girl was to be angry.

He didn't understand why she would be so upset so he asks again "Wǒ kě yǐ wěn nǐ zěn me zǒu ma?" The girl finally understood and laughed, and responded with directions.

Because he didn't use the right tones, she heard him say 吻 (wěn), not 问 (wèn).The correct question should be "我可以问你吗?" (Wǒ kě yǐ wèn nǐ ma?)    or "Can I ask you (a question)?" As we can see, tones are very important. To review, "to ask" is 问 (wèn)   , the fourth tone, and "to kiss" is 吻 (wěn)   , the third tone.

Have you got similar moments when you got mistaken by others?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-21 10:09:00 |Display all floors
The same, with a different tone can represent a different tone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-22 14:44:47 |Display all floors
Wo qin. ni or wo qing ni,  also a big difference.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-27 21:31:05 |Display all floors
Don't blurt out in front of a Chinese girl,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.