Views: 23343|Replies: 170

Why NYC passersby didn't help a dying Chinese man?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-5-15 14:37:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2014-5-15 14:40

A 68-year-old ex-garment Chinese immigrant beaten to death a block from his home lay on the sidewalk for more than 6 minutes before anyone stopped to help.
Warning: the content is disturbing to see.
http://v.ku6.com/show/e3ToP4qMLwa5WwhDu6_mjQ...html

Ruan Wen Hui trying to move around the man to get away, but suddenly the suspect tosses him against a wall, then stomps and punches him in the head. Several passersby walked passed him about 8:45 p.m.  Unfortunately Hui's skull was fractured during the assault and he was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital a day later, the NYPD said.

The New York Times reported: Jenny Ruan, 39, the second-oldest daughter, visited where her father died at the weekend and said in Chinese: 'So many people passed. They didn’t help, they didn’t call the police. Why wasn’t I here when you needed me?'  

I'm more than shocked to see that a Chinese man's life was taken for no reason and so many people turned a blind eye to a dying Chinese.
Would someone call 911 sooner if he were a native American?

If such a thing happened in China, it would immediately become a western media's feast. Standing on the high moral ground, they wouldn't stop criticising China.

What's with the hype of Chinese morality decline? Isn't it the same thing happening in US?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-15 18:14:57 |Display all floors
Did they catch that bloke

If so a life for a life sounds good enough to me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 19:28:48 |Display all floors
Would someone call 911 sooner if he were a native American?

I'm not sure that you are using the term 'native american' correctly?  Not sure the native american population in NYC.

NYC is THE most diverse city in america.  There is every nationality represented in NYC.  You can't walk down the street and only here one language.  

But also NYC is known for their indifference.  There have been cases shown like this in NYC since I can remember.  As a child I remember hearing stories of someone dying on the street and people stepping over them on the sidewalk.  

I don't think this is a racial issue.  

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 19:30:40 |Display all floors
If such a thing happened in China, it would immediately become a western media's feast. Standing on the high moral ground, they wouldn't stop criticising China.

What's with the hype of Chinese morality decline? Isn't it the same thing happening in US?

Really?

Did american newspapers cover the story of the little girl that got ran over in the street multiple times?  No.

Do american newspaper cover any of those stories that we see posted here about similar cases?  Maybe, but I have never seen it before.  Not in the papers and not on the TV.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-15 20:11:19 |Display all floors
You know, it's easy to criticise people for not getting involved

But it's a violent World and US is no exception

People get stabbed AND shot all day everyday

My views have changed in recent years.

Two years ago I was on a seafront in Spain, sitting outside having coffee. There were dozens of Blacks with goods on the floor that they were selling.
The Police suddenly arrived storming in to grab their goods and get rid of them. As they started the Blacks started grabbing café chairs throwing them in all directions towards Police. I hot footed it out of there and watched from a safer place it went on 15 mins.

Someone said to me why didn't you film it, well I said if one of the blacks had seen that, they might have grabbed my Iphone and then several could have given me a beating.

So, it's easy to make judgement without thinking, IF the Moron in that clip had seen someone on a phone,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHO KNOWS HOW HE'D REACT

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 20:36:07 |Display all floors
6 whole minutes - hahahahahahaha
In China, he would lay on the street for 6 hours, just like the little girl run over by the truck.
Don't even TRY to compare China (3rd world) to the US (1st world).
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 22:33:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-5-15 20:41
I sure hope so!

But DSeeing forgot to mention that...

you hope for a life for a life?

you are a diamond geezer

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.