Views: 4167|Replies: 6

Is spanking considered domestic violence? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-5-14 15:35:39 |Display all floors

According to a recent poll, sixty percent of the Chinese people surveyed don’t equate spanking with domestic violence. They believe spanking is an effective way to discipline children. I know many Chinese parents use spanking as a form of discipline, but the number 60 percent is still surprising. I wonder, does 60% surprise you? Do you spank your children? Do you think it works? Do you feel spanking is corporal punishment? So curious. Please share.

1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-15 09:55:36 |Display all floors
It's less common in UK now than it was when I was a kid, but I can only remember getting the 'belt' once.

Not sure I ever got spanked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 11:55:13 |Display all floors
Does not violence beget violence?  Even though "most" spanking does not do any bodily harm aside from a little redness, does it not instill in the minds of children at their young impressionable ages that violence is the way to get what you want from others?  

What negative effects does spanking have on society as a whole with respect to overall violence?  What affect does it have on statistics on bullying, assault and battery, rape, and murder?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-16 01:55:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2014-5-16 01:57

Spanking is indeed corporal punishment and in many countries it's now considered domestic violence / abusive behavior.  

I don't agree with using spanking as a panacea for misbehavior however under exceptional circumstances with young children it has it's place.  It should in my opinion only be used as a last resort, used very sparingly so that long term psychological damage doesn't occur.

For the record I was spanked once that I can recall. My parents used logic and psychology to ensure I grew up with self discipline.   
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-5-16 07:06:13 |Display all floors
Spanking or physical violence should not be used as a general punishment, only in rare cases to prevent worse violence on someone else by the child, and whenever possible after trying other methods of reasoning, persuasion AND finally, after repeated warnings. It is the same way societies go to war. It is sometimes necessary when dealing with an obstinate, unreasonable, dangerous and potentially violent child or an adversary. Otherwise, using physical punishment as a routine punishment or deterrent does not work and should be treated as abuse. I have seen too many children of Asian origin being hit by 'loving' parents for minor things or slips. Verbally threatening to hit is also psychological abuse. It is what leads to a large share of problems when the children themselves grow up to be adults.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-16 08:24:35 |Display all floors
In Germany it is forbidden to spank your children or do any other forms of physical punishment.
Rightly so!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-27 21:02:52 |Display all floors
I guess that depends on how hard you hit and how often you do that..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.