Author: english-learner

What do you give to newly wed couple at the wedding?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-14 15:19:12 |Display all floors
For China/ Anshan it is not new and I guess I am right when I say that is traditional. On my marriage with my Chinese wife (many tables!) my mother in law had a big old book and all the red envelopes were handed to her and every amount and the name connected to it was noted down. I was stunned that actually the amount exceeded the cost of the whole arrangements. Also payments for birthdays, support hospitalized friends & family members were received/ given occasionally and recorded in that said book. being married for 7+ years now me and my wife have spend a few hundred here and a few hundred there getting reminded by mom continuously and as time goes by and all this is written in that book again. we can feel that on the end pay day comes for all who received before. (If money goes, money comes)

That Book is a practical family tool to jump start a lively hod for young couples or help in emergency situations.

I guess it will be on a hard disk drive soon!
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-16 13:20:39 |Display all floors
lynxathome Post time: 2014-5-4 02:47
No. For average acquainstances we just send them 200. It depends on how many people do you take to ...

ONLY 200 IS FEW , IT IS 500 AT LEASET IN DALIAN ,IF LESS THAN 500, IT IS HUMILIATING ,THIS IS NOT FOT THE CLOSE FRIENDS BUT THE COMMON,NORMAL FRIENDS NOT MEETING FREQUENTLY
you are the one

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-16 13:31:18 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2014-5-4 09:10
It's a sad reflection on Chinese (or any) society when friendship has to be proved with money.

IT IS JUST CUSTOM,BEING WILLING TO PRESENT MONEY IS DEPENDING ON YOUR FEELING ,SOME YOU ARE WILLING TO DONATE HAPPILY ,BUT SOME YOU JUST FOLLOW THE TRADITION WHILE LESS MONEY
you are the one

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-20 10:26:14 |Display all floors
I thought the holiday is very good, it lets us understand the most important thing in our life is loving of family and friends not the money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-20 22:50:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Maierwei at 2014-5-20 22:55

I was at a wedding in Henan last week with a friend of mine. I was told that if you're closely related you need to give lots of money, my BF said his father gave over 1000 (it was his cousin getting married). His mother said me and my friend don't need to do like Chinese people do, and it would be inappropriate, so we were told it's OK to give just 100-200, we both put 200 in the envelopes.

I didn't know Chinese people write their names so that the favour can be returned! We didn't write our names, which made it obvious I guess

In my country, it would be taken as an insult to give cash I guess. In rural areas however, people pin some gold (or cash!) to bride's or the groom's clothes, or give the bride gold bracelets. In cities people buy gifts, they try to pick useful stuff like household appliances or decorative stuff. Gift cards are also becoming popular. Maybe cash is a better option since the couple can buy anything they need, but it's still new because it's seen rude in cities to give cash. Oh, and people also send/bring LOTS of flowers, so on the invitation cards some young couples write "donate money to xxxx charity instead of sending flowers"!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-21 15:43:14 |Display all floors
Jaminyixue Post time: 2014-5-16 13:31
IT IS JUST CUSTOM,BEING WILLING TO PRESENT MONEY IS DEPENDING ON YOUR FEELING ,SOME YOU ARE WILLIN ...

Red envelope is good to help when is young to start marry life togther

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-22 20:35:01 |Display all floors
Jaminyixue Post time: 2014-5-16 13:31
IT IS JUST CUSTOM,BEING WILLING TO PRESENT MONEY IS DEPENDING ON YOUR FEELING ,SOME YOU ARE WILLIN ...

Friendship should not be measured in money. This would suggest you only want wealthy friends. Guests should be allowed to donate what they can afford annonymously.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.