Author: 1584austin

Does anyone have experience of Vehicle Tracking devices? [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 15:07:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2014-4-30 08:11
1584austin Post time: 2014-4-30 06:32
Yeah I was more interested in acquiring them for our cars for recovery should they be nicked

Small GPS tracking device is now very cheap, so where it is well hidden and You take care that is not "trackable by wires" (power suply wires well hidden, and the small backup accu "just in case") - it is a good idea. Some people install it in not as "obvious" places as bumpers (usually made of plastic, so "radio-transparent") but in the mirror (especially small devices), dashboard (well hidden under the upholstery) and so on...
For the expensive car it is wise to install one device in the authorised workshop, but the second one - by Yourself (or smart, friendly and well known "small workshop").
When data plan for mobile is so cheap now (and it is the only one cost that You really have to pay) - monthly use is supraisingly inexpensive...
Btw. at least one device should have "unregistered, pre-paid SIM-card" - just to bee on the safe side.

However some thieves are able to put the stolen car in the metal container and slowly work-out every security device ("radio emission spectrum scanner" is maybe not as cheap as a "GPS bug" but it is affordable...).

Most expensive "GPS bugs" have some mode which recognizes "radio shielding" and makes transmission inactive (receive only mode) untill the mobile network signal is available again. It makes harder to find and dissable it, but when it "reemerge" from the mentioned container (after - after programmed delay) it aquires GPS signal, and sends the position again (sometimes also in "emergency SMS message" - if available in a given device). Best devices can differ the underground parking "radio emissions signature" from the "close container/Farrenhaits cage" characteristic - so the false allarms are rare.

I heard that the "security service provider" (if You have one)  should NEVER know about all security devices You use :) And in current technology - You can track Your cars by yourself (simply on the phone screen anywhere in the world).

If You are talking about the cars provided for "other persons" (Your emploee) - please take care about the law regulations about informing such a person that this kind of devide is used, and so on...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-1 03:58:35 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2014-4-30 15:07
Small GPS tracking device is now very cheap, so where it is well hidden and You take care that is n ...

Well interesting thanks, when I get time I'll contact one of the companies that advertise them.

I ordered a new car, 4 months delivery so it's coming on 1st September and will have one installed. I couldn't do that myself, show me a wire or two and I'm confused straight away  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-4 17:10:36 |Display all floors
As far as I am aware, you buy it, hide it in the car somewhere, turn it on.
If the car gets nicked, you ring it on the phone, and it replies with a text message of its location.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-4 20:57:51 |Display all floors
vk3ukf Post time: 2014-5-4 17:10
As far as I am aware, you buy it, hide it in the car somewhere, turn it on.
If the car gets nicked,  ...

Yes I'm dim too, that's all I know about them

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.