Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-26 01:57:14 |Display all floors
Another example: Own a fanny pack? In most other English-speaking countries, they're called "bum bags" because "fanny" is slang for a part of the female anatomy. Others like: when Britain says: “Sorry” and Americans hear: “I sincerely apologize.”  What Brits say: “I went to public school.” But Americans hear: “I went to a school my parents didn’t pay for.”) Do you have any experience with Brits or people from Down Under like that? Please give us some examples.

###
Another example: Own a fanny pack?

In most other English-speaking countries, they're called "bum bags" because "fanny" is slang for a part of the female anatomy.

The word "bum" has different meanings in the USA and UK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-26 02:16:36 |Display all floors
###
Others like: when Britain says: “Sorry” and Americans hear: “I sincerely apologize.”  

What Brits say: “I went to public school.” But Americans hear: “I went to a school my parents didn’t pay for.”

Do you have any experience with Brits or people from Down Under like that?

Please give us some examples.

Some parts of American speech, are the same as the British used to speak, 250 years ago.

Especially in the more traditional places in the USA.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-26 03:18:42 |Display all floors
'Bazinga' means 'Ah ha! I fooled you!' - Urban Dictionary definition

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-26 03:40:10 |Display all floors
###
How do you view interracial romance (or cross cultural romance?

It’s the romance of people from different countries, eg: a Chinese falls in love with an American, or a South Korean married with an African?

Do you think interracial couples can maintain a long lasting relationship?

What are the key elements to keep the romance alive from your view point?

It's no different to any other relationship.

No better -- no worse.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-26 03:41:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by MichaelM at 2014-4-26 08:29

3. It is quite common for Americans to say 'Sorry' as a way of apologizing. I use it whenever I make a mistake or do something that requires an apology.

Brit. English calls the back storage compartment of a car a 'boot'. US English calls it a 'trunk.'

Brit. English calls a home in a multi-unit building a 'flat'. US English calls it an 'apartment.'
In US English, a 'flat' is tire of a car, bicycle, motorcycle, etc., that has no air in it. "The tire on the car is flat."

Brit. English calls a large vehicle built to transport things a 'lorrie'. U.S. English calls it a 'truck'.

Brit. English calls a metal used for building airplanes and such, 'aluminium'. U.S. English calls it 'aluminum.'

Brit. English calls a notice for a business that is publicly announcing things they offer, an 'ad-VER-tise-ment'. US English calls it an 'ad-ver-TISE-ment.'

Brit. Eng calls a toilet a 'W.C' (represents a very old reference to 'water closet'). US English calls it a 'batthroom', 'restroom' or a 'toilet.'

Brit. English uses a slang term for a man, a 'bloke'. US English uses 'a man' or 'a guy.'

Brit. English will refer to a friend as 'mate'. In the US, a 'mate' is the person that you're married to. US English simply uses 'friend.'
Oh, one more. What the Brits call a 'lift', US speakers call an 'elevator.'

Something else to note here that might be interest: When listening to a Brit. English speaker vs. a US English speaker, British often like to shorten the 'A' sound. Sounds like 'ah'. For example in the 'car.' When they speak, it will sound more like 'cah' without much emphasis on the 'R' sound. US speakers will say the 'R' sound clearly.

Also, Brit English speakers will often put an 'R' sound at the end of words that end with the letter 'A'. For example, when they say the word 'area', it sounds more they are saying 'arear'. US speakers won't do this.

Many Chinese people have trouble with the 'th' sound in English. It requires you to put your tongue slightly out of your mouth, beyond your front teeth. I've heard speakers from Ireland (near the U.K.) simply make this sound as a 'T' sound. US speakers will likely say it more as the Greek theta by putting their tongue beyond their teeth as described above.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-26 03:51:10 |Display all floors
4. From my experience, the USA is such a huge melting pot of people and cultures, interracial relationships are quite common. Hardly noticeable. It is far more acceptable in the larger cities, the West and Northeast than in the South. Even though it has been 150 since the Civil War which helped President Lincoln to free the slaves, a small amount of prejudice still exists even though it has been greatly diminished in the past 50 years. The people who would oppose interracial relationships would likely be those of a lower socio-economic and less educated status. Americans are independent and largely feel that what others do with their lives is their own business.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-26 03:53:39 |Display all floors
5. Americans are fascinated by the British royals because of their titles and wealth (I think) more than anything. The UK has a non-functioning monarchy. I think it's the 'fairy tale' allurement that we are most fascinated with.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.