制服,饭食,书籍,宿处,都由学校供给。

只有这样,我才敢对母亲提升学的话。

入学,要交十元的保证金。这是一笔巨款!

母亲作了半个月的难,把这巨款筹到,而后含泪把我送出门去。

她不辞劳苦,只要儿子有出息。

当我由师范毕业,而被派为小学校长,母亲与我都一夜不曾合眼。

我只说了句:“以后,您可以歇一歇了!”

她的回答只有一串串的眼泪。

(Upon my graduation from elementary school, members in my family agreed on sending me to learn some craft so that I could be of some help to my mother. It was taken for granted that I ought to become a breadwinner to alleviate mother’s hardship.)  

I myself, on the other hand, wished for higher education. Keeping mom in the dark, I was admitted to a normal school which afforded students all the necessities — uniforms, books, board and lodging. Only in this way did I dare to breathe a word of higher education to her. Before the school started, 10 yuan must be paid as guarantee deposit — an astronomical number to us! For half a month, mother took pains to tide over the awkward situation till she finally collected enough money and then saw me off with tears. She didn’t mind breaking her back as long as her son was useful and promising. The day I finished normal school and was assigned to the position of principal of a primary school, we both had a sleepless night. I only said, “It is time for you to enjoy a restful life!” And silent tears were seen trickling down her face.

from Blog:人在旅途

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-1 21:52:41 |Display all floors
原译:
The day I finished normal school and was assigned to the position of principal of a primary school, we both had a sleepless night.
酌情改译:

When I was appointed on my graduation to be the headmaster of a primary school, both Mother and I were unable to sleep for that very night.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-4-3 08:51:24 |Display all floors
GreenNanning Post time: 2014-4-1 21:52
原译:
The day I finished normal school and was assigned to the position of principal of a primary s ...

谢谢你的建议

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-3 17:14:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by GreenNanning at 2014-4-3 17:21

It seems that the content of TEM8 or CET Band-4 or Band-6 is the State-owned resources that cannot be used without permission. For years, there have been legal cases involved the unofficial release of the exam materials. So take care, not to be invited for coffee or tea by the government watchdogs.
当我在小学毕了业(This expression is usual in Chinese, but is an overstatement if put as graduation in English.)的时候,亲友(I notice you make it as family members, it doesn't agree with the original.)一致的愿意我去学手艺,好帮助母亲。
When I ended my primary school education, the relatives and friends all agreed that I be an apprentice of some trade to help my mother.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-4-3 22:32:30 |Display all floors
be an apprentice of some trade  译得不错
谢谢对graduation一词讲解
考试结束后的试题讨论不涉及试题泄露,所以无需顾虑

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-4-5 15:15:04 |Display all floors
那些日子.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 22:17:05 |Display all floors
It is weird that a literary work is used for an exam because it will be hard to make an objective evaluation.
I only said, “It is time for you to enjoy a restful life!” And silent tears were seen trickling down her face. (it is not literally the translation of the orginal, it is the creative work of the translator, so it is unscientific,)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.