Author: Anming

Do Chinese dislike second hand stuff?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-3-25 15:46:50 |Display all floors
it's a sad truth. my wife organises such second hand markets to raise money for two local schools, one for autistic children and one for disabled children, and was actually asked by a local man "how can you sell old stuff? it's disgusting!"
some people's brains are so turned off it's a wonder they can talk at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 16:12:00 |Display all floors
After CNY, I saw good luggage dumped in the trash, along with  with inedible oranges trees  bought for use , then discarded.
The chinese  that I have met live in small quarters and do not collect stuff. I asked why not?  First off the domestic stuf is worst quality than the export
and it will likely not last. Prices are cheap, so they can get what they need when they need it. Second, they move often and  want to do it
quickly without much baggage. They throw out still usable items for space issues.  Thats what they tell me..
  They live minimally.. You can see this in the cooking tools. One Wok, One Cleaver and eat with sticks.
There are second hand furniture and appliance shops, but the perception of "FACE" is better perceived to have brand new ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 16:31:41 |Display all floors
Yes, it is  about Face. (Can I agree with myself? lol)
The perception of having wealth is more important than the reality.
To buy second hand is not beneficial to Face...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 16:49:16 |Display all floors
remitrom Post time: 2014-3-25 16:31
Yes, it is  about Face. (Can I agree with myself? lol)
The perception of having wealth is more impo ...

No one can see whether your clothes are second hand or not... And some stores selling vintage  in Europe have even higher prices than "normal" shops.

In Germany and other European countries, swap parties are getting increasingly popular. You apply online, then bring a bag with clothes you don't use anymore and you "swap" it for other people's stuff. I think it is a  more responsible and money-saving way of consuming.

In Austria being a responsible consumer is the best way to "get face", we look up to people who protect the environment, buy/eat organic and fair trade, recycle and upcycle. It impresses people more than a SUV.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 17:37:36 |Display all floors
Just as you say,the most chinese people don't like second hand stuff,but it 's limited to clothes.because more chinese people don't mind other which is second hand.Why  is it say? For one  thing ,more and more chinese have't enough scientific konwledge,so that more chinese consider second hand clothes have many bacteria.For other thing,at present ,the most chinese  are lack of trust,so chinese don't think it's good what is you give. This is only reason,and l believe  aslo have many reason in this question.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 17:52:19 |Display all floors
Maybe it is something from the young generation? When I was living in the Hutong area, where many old people live, whatever I threw away, someone would take it. Even pieces of wood or other things, that seemed totally worthless. I still have hope to find a charity organization collecting clothes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-25 18:18:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by remitrom at 2014-3-25 19:47

in China SZ, I bought all used furniture, and salvage thrown out plants, a piece of lugage, . I dont care about "Face"  (much)
In USA  I salvage and repair items, go thrift stores for cloths, and never bought a new car.   I am Not Chinese....
Just Saying.... the Chinese mentality  is concerned with face...    and answer to your question.   They dont like second hand..in fact , will throw out things because they ade Dirty, and buy a new one, old apartments rent cheaper than new ones.
They have cleaning issues to, but I'll stay on track.  They mimic the everything is desposable atitude from the USA  past.
other people, they salvage everything, take it apart, separate, and recycle and make a living from it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.