- Registration time
- Last login
- Online time
- 0 Hour
- Reading permission
Mar 8, 2014|
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi says Beijing will not permit “war” and “instability” on the Korean Peninsula, calling for the resumption of dialogue between North and South Korea.
“The Korean peninsula is right on China’s doorstep. We have a red line, that is, we will not allow war or instability on the Korean peninsula,” the Chinese top diplomat told reporters on Saturday.
The Chinese official also reaffirmed Beijing’s support for the resumption of talks between North and South Korea as soon as possible, saying, “Confrontation can only bring tension, and war can only cause disaster.” The Korean Peninsula has been locked in a cycle of escalating military rhetoric since the Korean War, which lasted from 1950 to 1953. No peace deal has been signed since then, meaning that North and South Korea remain technically at war.
Wang further stressed that all parties in the two Koreas should “exercise restraint,” adding that genuine and lasting peace on the peninsula is only possible with denuclearization.
North Korea is subject to a series of UN sanctions for rejecting to give up its nuclear program.
Western states have accused China of failing to properly apply the UN sanctions against North Korea, including the bans imposed on the East Asian country after its third nuclear test in February 2013. Beijing has rejected the criticism as “unreasonable.”
Pyongyang also carried out two other nuclear tests on October 9, 2006, and May 25, 2009.