Views: 21671|Replies: 57

Is meeting the Dalai Lama a bargaining chip?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-21 14:25:34 |Display all floors
The Dalai once again carrying his begging bowl around the world. I wonder how much money he collects this time round. I don't think Obama can spare him too much though. USA is sinking under a mountain of debt and Congress won't release the money. And Euro is bankrupt already. For Obama and other Western leaders, Dalai is a useful tool as a bargaining chip to hedge against China. The Western politicians interested in containing China are willing to believe and exploit the Dalai Lama's deceitful words to defame and isolate China. But their despicable deeds are doomed to fail.
1.jpg

Tibet ,before the Chinese liberated its people, was a feudal theocracy where most were landed serfs in constant debt to their ruling monks. Debts that could be paid off by selling children with hideous punishments such as limb amputations as means of duress. Dont believe all the propoganda: it emanates primarily from the American right who are frightened of Chinese resurgence and will use any means to defame the Chinese miracle.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-21 14:26:32 |Display all floors

US President Obama will meet with the Dalai Lama at the White House on Friday, the Obama administration announced Thursday night.

The meeting is the the third between Obama and the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader since Obama has been in the White House.

Ahead of the visit, the White House underscored that it continues to recognize Tibet as part of China, while raising concerns about the deteriorating human rights situation in the Tibetan areas of China.

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said Obama will meet the Dalai Lama "in his capacity as an internationally respected religious and cultural leader."

"The United States supports the Dalai Lama's "Middle Way" approach of neither assimilation nor independence for Tibetans in China," Hayden said in a statement. "We will continue to urge the Chinese government to resume dialogue with the Dalai Lama or his representatives, without preconditions, as a means to reduce tensions.

Obama met the Dalai Lama in February 2010 and July 2011. Past U.S. presidents of both parties over the past three decades have met with the Dalai Lama, who has lived in exile in India since 1959.

The meeting will almost certainly draw a rebuke from China, which has regularly lashed out at world leaders for meeting with the Dalai Lama.

The Tibetan leader spoke at Washington think tank on Thursday and is also scheduled to visit Silicon Valley, Los Angeles and Minneapolis during this visit to the United States.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 00:59:15 |Display all floors

Dalai Lama is responsible for crimes against humanity. To me it seems almost ridiculous and shameful that he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Slavery, blinding, amputations, torture...Is that the peace that the West try to promote?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 08:16:07 |Display all floors
But...in the end........whose reputation is gone?

China reputation is gone the more  China carries on like this.

No logic

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 08:44:53 |Display all floors
China worries too much but of course it needs to respond. US is not in divinity in meeting DL. In fact consistent US promotion of DL runs detriment to the US.

US puts up a show that it respects the DL indirectly implying that it feels for the other few million Tibetans but when US knows so little and refuses to acknowledge the truth of the on-goings in Tibet Province, that "implied feel" is absolutely false and artificial, further insulting the intelligence of the millions of Tibetans. Moreover with US' track record of its treatment over its own indigenous people, how is it that US can treat those far away better than those at home? Or in short what US is saying is that one DL is worth more than the entire indigenous native people in the US? Must be. No culture of the US indigenous people has even received anywhere near 5% such high attention that one single DL born, fed and practicing a religion that originates from far away. If at all indigenous people are usually portrayed negatively. It says a plenty of US intention towards both the native Tibetans and indigenous native Americans - both are tools not human. And the DL reinforces this notion.

In contrast the Han ethnic and Tibetan ethnic, the few million Tibetans that is not just one, in China sees one another day in day out. In daily lives, there are bound to be both good experiences and bad experiences, the important thing is to understand that the same also happens to Han-Han and Tibetan-Tibetan interactions, hence no need to make ethnic issues out of them and it is quite important to view both the good and bad together with equal weight.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 09:15:48 |Display all floors
if this is a bargaining chip, it is only because China refuses to give the Lama a home in China for his retirement.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 12:24:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.