Author: ChrisZ

The 4-year-old Al Qaeda fighter in Syria shooting an AK-47   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-2-4 05:41:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-2-4 07:50
JFenix Post time: 2014-2-4 07:13
Why should anyone care about hurting a country's feelings or reputation?  Or even that of the reli ...

the reason i say is as follows
It is wrong for kids to be used as fighters in a war, but the issue does not start just there. it is wrong to put people or a country in a situation where they consider using kids to fight  (you would not know how you or your country would behave in the same situation). If one goes about following the chain of reasoning, the fault would lie perhaps even outside Syria, for this issue of this one child. Rather than everyone pointing fingers at each other, i suggested people point the finger at themselves to honestly look at what they or their own country's policy has contributed towards getting this child in this situation. Everyone from his parents, neighbours, community, religion, region and the world has somehow contributed to bringing about this kind of abomination, this is just ONE case - there are millions we dont see or hear of.
the issue did not suddenly start only with his parents or family's decision. We are not in their shoes and cannot judge ourselves superior. It is best to reflect honestly, even if we cannot do ANYTHING  to bring about a change this kid's case (the vast majority of are in this situation), hopefully from now on we will not do anything to contribute to another child somewhere else, some other time to get into this situation.
Humans subjected to cruel conditions, desperate to survive will do abnormal things to survive - they are still parents who love their child. We as a human society are responsible for bringing them to this condition, probably  more responsible than the parent..  The callous decision of a political leader, physically distant from the child is likely more responsible than the immediate family. Who knows what other tragedies the family has undergone, or the people of Syria have undergone. Beware of mischief makers who first contribute to create such situations and then use the same to smear their opponents in war! Humans are the cruelest creatures.

pointing to specific countries or people will only make this debate degenerate into a mudslining contest which is further insult to this kid. i would rather each of us silently look at ourselves. it is the greatest shame that we are in this situation, where we cannot speak out fully about this kids situation without making it worse morally with regards to this kid.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 06:00:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2014-2-4 06:01
JFenix Post time: 2014-2-4 05:13
Why should anyone care about hurting a country's feelings or reputation?  Or even that of the reli ...

When fighting a hated dictator......the only objective is win......and the only outcome is death or victory.

An armed revolution is not a football game with rules and referees

Only victory or defeat matters.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 06:14:13 |Display all floors
For supporting Assad.......both China and Russia are directly responsible for the death of each and every 4 years old soldier.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 06:52:30 |Display all floors
kowalski Post time: 2014-2-3 18:03
Get the hell out of his country, invader!

Do not bark up the wrong tree
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 07:04:16 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-2-4 05:41
the reason i say is as follows
It is wrong for kids to be used as fighters in a war, but the issue  ...

I'm going to have to say that I don't care what the mitigating circumstances or blame of politicians or what not.  

Its wrong in any situation to use a four year old in war.

There are things done in war that we define as war crimes regardless of the circumstances such as targeting civilians.  That's a war crime no matter what is all going on.  No one asks in those situations what the mitigating circumstances are nor do they tell others to take responsibility for those crimes.

Using a child this young in war ranks up there with targeting civilians as a war crime.

I don't care who is responsible.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 07:07:31 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-2-4 07:04
I'm going to have to say that I don't care what the mitigating circumstances or blame of politicia ...

F course you don't care.......

Americans are big enough, strong enough to have the luxury of having chocolates while going to war.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-4 07:09:48 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-2-4 07:07
F course you don't care.......

I care about this child.  Isn't that more important?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.