Views: 1422|Replies: 1

Cutting corruption, or so they say [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-1-17 09:30:05 |Display all floors
There has been a lot of news recently about President Xi's efforts to curb corruption in China but I cannot help thinking that they don't really want to catch corrupt officials. They will only punish them if the public catch wind of the corruption or if the corruption is too obvious to hide.
Officially, governement officials only earn in the region of 10,000RMB per month. In Beijing this is by no means a lot of money. In university, lecturers only earn 4,000RMB per month (again, "officially"). To me, it seems relatively simple to catch anybody spending more than this amount. Even if earning 10,000/month it is very difficult to buy an apartment in Beijing. 4,000/month is scarcely enough to survive on. Personally, my salary is between these two figures and I am endlessly accounting for my expenses.

Every time there is news of the government's efforts to stamp out corruption there are endless comments congratulating them on their determination. But it's just public perception. This country thrives and survies on corruption and illegal practices. The simple fact of using guanxi and personal influence is a form of corruption (how many leaders did not have a high-ranking father?)
When most of the world says you're wrong, then it's probably true

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-17 14:03:49 |Display all floors
Another perfect example "Senior general tangled in corruption"
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/chi ... 7240313.htm#1020262

"dozens of homes, gold statues and crates of luxury liquor"
"dozens of apartments in central Beijing"
"his mansion in Puyang housed several gold artworks"

That's how far his corruption had to go before somebody finally put a stop to him
When most of the world says you're wrong, then it's probably true

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.