Views: 9322|Replies: 33

American Icebreaker to the Rescue.   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-1-5 10:34:46 |Display all floors
AN American icebreaker will attempt to free two ships stuck in ice in Antarctica.                                                                                                                        Twenty-two crew remain on board the Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy, which sparked a rescue mission after a blizzard pushed sea ice around the ship and froze it in place on Christmas Eve.
The 52 scientists and tourists on board the research ship were airlifted to safety last week, thanks to the help of the Chinese icebreaker Xue Long.
Those passengers are now on board Aurora Australis on their way to Australia's Antarctic base Casey Station and then Tasmania.
But shortly after the rescue, the 101 crew of the Chinese icebreaker that provided the helicopter that airlifted the passengers on the Russian ship to safety itself became beset by thick ice.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said on Sunday that the US Coast Guard's icebreaker Polar Star is now on its way to help.
        The Polar Star has been en route from Seattle to Antarctica since December 3 with a plan to clear a navigable shipping channel in the region.
An AMSA spokeswoman said they will delay this job to help the two stuck ships.
The icebreaker will leave Sydney on Sunday.
It will take about seven days for the US icebreaker, with a crew of 140 people, to reach Commonwealth Bay.
The AMSA spokeswoman said the US ship had greater capabilities than the Russian and Chinese vessels.
"It can break ice over six metres thick, while those vessels can break one-metre ice," she told AAP on Sunday.
"The idea is to break them out, but they will make a decision once they arrive on scene on the best way to do this."
AMSA will be in regular contact with the relevant US Coast Guard and the captain of the Polar Star during its journey to Antarctica.
                                                                                                                                                        http://www.news.com.au/world/bre ... rfkui-1226795106308

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-5 12:54:51 |Display all floors
Hmmm, the US to the rescue - how fortunate for the Chinese & Russians.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-1-5 13:27:43 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-1-5 12:54

I just hat to post this.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-1-5 13:33:23 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-1-5 15:35

this is really what countries should be doing for each other, even if competitiively - helping each other. Good on the USA!  They are very good at preparing for such rescues, disaster relief etc. They probably have some of the best equipment, technology and trained people for these. Worth emulating! I think China and Australia too showed the right spirit in helping the trapped Russians. Good on them!
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-5 13:36:50 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-1-5 12:54

Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-5 13:37:16 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-1-5 13:27
I just hat to post this.

Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-5 13:38:21 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-1-5 13:33
this is really what countries should be doing for each other, even if competitiively - helping each  ...

This is how the United Nations should be about

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.