Views: 2759|Replies: 5

Would you bother keeping a friendship alive? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-1-2 15:48:30 |Display all floors
Not sure how much advice can be given but I thought at least some opinions on the matter could help.

Right now I'm conflicted about reaching out to a friend who moved out of the city about a month ago. I known her for about a year, and in that time we went from being rather good friends (would talk and hang out a lot) to slowly losing contact as she got into a relationship and naturally devoted a lot of her time to that. .None the less we still talked often enough, all the way leading up to her announcing she was moving out of town. I was happy for her, but we started talking even less at this point.

I'll naturally admit that I have a bad habit of feeling like if I'm putting more effort into a friendship of drawing back and this ended up happening. She moved without us even hanging out one last time (not sure who's fault that would be) and now it's been a month since last contact. Part of me wants to send her a text/message/fb thing just asking how her new city is treating her and opening the lines of communication..another part of me feels like she should do that.

So opinions? I really do have tons of awesome friends in the city already, but I always hate the idea of losing a friendship, but at the same time I wonder if it's even worth pursuing.

Use magic tools Report

Elite Member

Snowipine

Glod Medal Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-1-14 10:50:58 |Display all floors
Send message to her, look reaction.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-1-14 11:07:13 |Display all floors
She's obviously not your friend, why do you bother ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-14 12:25:01 |Display all floors
You were the one who made contact most often. Let her do it this time. "The phone works both ways" is what we say in my family.

Do you know though, some people just never take the initiative. They like for others to do that. They will just sit there and let life pass them by if no one does it. They took enough initiative to get a job, maybe find a mate, then continue through life on cruise control.

These people are so sad to me.

Other people are happy to be invited over, I entertain and cook for them. But they never reciprocate. After a few times, I stop, as if to say: "OK, your turn." But they don't get the clue. They wait a couple months and then it occurs to them: "We haven't done anything in a while. I wonder why not?"

It's just one area where there are more and more people who are socially retarded. Too much time with their noses in their phones, and not enough time with face-to-face interactions. Well, that's my theory, at least.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-14 12:28:30 |Display all floors
If she was loved, she would contacted you already. seems she has been fighting an uphill battle to secure a relationship. A text message does not hurt.

Use magic tools Report

Elite Member

Snowipine

Glod Medal Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-1-14 20:14:37 |Display all floors
Smaug Post time: 2014-1-14 12:25
You were the one who made contact most often. Let her do it this time. "The phone works both ways" i ...

Well said.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.