Views: 5657|Replies: 13

Self-made Warm Pad. What's your type of Hand Warmers? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-28 09:18:31 |Display all floors
We need to  be cautious to potential danger of using some warm pads or hand warmers.Some use liquid fuel, carbon monxoide emitted by the devices is dangerous in confined space. Some use disposable pads, it produces more garbage.
Some use rechargeable new design mobile phone size devices, it has to spend some money.

I make my feet warmers to put in my bed for sleeping. I have electrical warmer pad enough to warm my feet in bed but I don't like the wire. I have rubber hot water bottle but I prefer not to use water.

I searched on internet and find the materials suitable to make it. It's beans that I already have at home. I use a steel lunch box to keep the beans as one warmer box. And make another pad  with a foil paper wrapping beans in. Put them into a toast oven to heat and transfer to bed under the blanket. They are reuseable. But becareful not to burn your hands while transferring them.

If you have microwave oven, you can wrap the beans in socks which do not contain polyester materials that is easy to burn.
Put them into microwave oven to heat for a short time every time you want. Disclaimer: I haven't tried that. Don't know the potential danger.

I haven't try the hand warmers contain iron particles yet. Beans bag are heavy. Besides, I don't know what they will produce after overused. I'd like to find some materials that's light weight and less bulky. Not much chemical materials. What's your idea?

A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-28 12:05:56 |Display all floors
Maybe a lighter material than beans is aluminum beads but don't know how long they can keep the warmth comparing beans.
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-12-28 19:59:33 |Display all floors
I wear good quality gloves, insulated from the water and snow outside (surface layer of "breathable" textile/composite), good grip (leather insert on the down side of the palm), and good but not so thick thermal insulation layer (my current gloves uses 3M Thinsulate).
Be carefull not to buy fakes, where "branded" insulation layer is replaced with cheap "polar/PET" - it is no good.
I never use the "hand warmers" even in -20C (that can last in Poland for over a month during the winter time). Instead - in really cold weather I keep an extra pair of gloves kept in warm pocket (close to the body).
When one pair of gloves is wet (sweating, melting snow), I change it, letting the other one to dry, or I keep the other pair in the sealed bag untill I'm back home (to dry it later).

One and only kind of "warmers" effective in extreme situations is the chemical one - but not to warm the hand, but to place it on the chest.
In "normal situation" also the best way to keep war is to put the warmer (hot bottle, anything...) on the chest (near the heart).
Why?
Because it worms the body near the heart, and then it is quickly distributes all over.

Warming the hands only wit any "fuel based" warmer is dangerous, because it is affective when the warmer work, but then... when the warming ends, widened (by hot) capillaries helps to... cool Your hands (and body) down.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 08:02:05 |Display all floors
My wife solved the problem.........she married me {:soso_e122:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 13:53:55 |Display all floors
It never gets cold in the tropics
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 17:30:41 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-12-28 19:59
I wear good quality gloves, insulated from the water and snow outside (surface layer of "breathable" ...

Yes, multi-layer gloves and socks are convenient to change to take off the moist which may turn to ice if the temp is very low.
Swinging arms up and down can help blood return to the heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-29 17:32:49 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-12-29 08:02
My wife solved the problem.........she married me

But she can't carry you any time any where like hand warmers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.