Views: 5775|Replies: 11

How does the subway pricing system work in your country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-24 13:33:08 |Display all floors
The 2 yuan set subway ticket price is one of the greatest benefits for people living in Beijing. The low-price tickets have benefited the locals and the drifting "dream-seekers" a lot.

However, the super cheap public transportation system is not run in a financially sustainable way. The latest news shows that the Beijing municipal government has proposed to employ a "differentiated pricing system" for the city's subway, which implies that the fare will increase. As was expected, there are outcries again the alleged price hike.

We'd like to invite you to join the discussion on the subway issue today.

Do you think it would be a justified decision to make to suspend the subsidy to Beijing metro and let the market do the job? What about the subway service in your home country or city? Does your government subsidize the transportation system? How does the subway pricing system work?

Welcome to comment on this issue and share your insights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 14:18:00 |Display all floors
i have one idea about the subway transportation in every city that has the subway system, it is that every employee in the state-owned enterprises, joint ventures or small companies which pay taxes can buy the subway tickets using their work cards, companies charge every employee's work card on a-month basis and the local tax department pays the tax refund to companies on a year basis. then the travel will be free!
i think the government should turn the subway system into a project which makes every citizen enjoy the greatest beneficial interests!
though the cost of the subway is very high, about 100million per mile, our strong government can afford that, which i have no doubt about!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 14:43:43 |Display all floors
Here in the Washington DC area, the subway (and bus) system is supported by fares and a big chunk of money from the surrounding local governments. Without this subsidy, the subway operations cannot be sustained. You know what the maximum charge is for a one way ticket (if you use one of those SmartCards) is? It's $5.75. That would be almost 35 RMB. If you had a minimum wage job, you would go broke commuting to work.

The Washington DC subway is the absolute worst subway system in the world. There are not enough stops. It doesn't go to enough places. The fares are too high. The trains constantly break down. That's why people like me keep on driving. I'd rather sit in traffic in my car for an hour than endure the nightmare torture of taking the subway here to work everyday.

London, Hong Kong, Guangzhou,Tokyo, Munich--they all have much better subway systems. It's been a while since I've been on the subway in Beijing (do they have more than 2 lines now?), but I bet it's better than here in DC.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-12-24 18:47:58 |Display all floors
Beijing has a pollution problem and raising prices would only move more people onto the roads increasing traffic jams and pollution. How about a tax on car users to pay a subsidy to the metro?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 19:51:08 |Display all floors
How about setting different price for different age people at different time. I mean the price could be 1RMB before 6AM. Or after 9AM the old can pay 1RMB for the traveling.

Or maybe we can change different working type persons' working time. Like working in service industry, we can set working at 10AM

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 20:05:50 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-12-24 18:47
Beijing has a pollution problem and raising prices would only move more people onto the roads increa ...

Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 20:06:23 |Display all floors
Not a good idea
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.