Views: 13228|Replies: 81

India vows to 'restore dignity' of diplomat in US   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-19 18:44:51 |Display all floors

India vows to 'restore dignity' of diplomat in US

AFP | 2013-12-19 1:18:01
By AFP

Right-wing Indian Hindu activists wearing masks of US President Barack Obama take part in a protest near the US Embassy in New Delhi on Wednesday. Photo: AFP

India vowed Wednesday to bring one of its diplomats home at any price after her arrest in New York, as she told how she broke down in tears after being stripped and cavity-searched.

As a leading daily hailed the government for "taking on Uncle Sam," Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid pledged to "restore the dignity" of the diplomat - whose treatment at the hands of a superpower has touched a raw nerve in India.

Khurshid's promise came a day after India announced a series of reprisals and despite an overnight plea by the US State Department not to allow the row to damage relations.

"It is my duty to bring the lady back," Khurshid told lawmakers.

"We have to restore her dignity and I will do it at any cost," he added in the highest-level intervention by an Indian official since deputy consul general Devyani Khobragade was arrested last Thursday.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh then further stoked the furor by calling her arrest "deplorable" in brief comments reported by the Press Trust of India.

The US Marshals Service confirmed on Tuesday that Khobragade, 39, had been strip-searched like other prisoners after being detained while dropping her two children off at school.

US authorities say she not only paid a domestic servant a fraction of the minimum wage but also lied in a visa application for the employee, an Indian national who has absconded.

In an e-mail to colleagues published Wednesday, Khobragade said she told arresting authorities that she had diplomatic immunity - only to suffer repeated searches and to be jailed with "common criminals."

"I must admit that I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, in a hold-up with common criminals and drug addicts were all being imposed upon me despite my incessant assertions of immunity," she said in the e-mail.

The revelation that a high-ranking diplomat could be subjected to such treatment while on a posting to the US has caused huge offence in a country that sees itself as an emerging world power.

US State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf admitted the arrest was a "sensitive issue" but insisted it was a "separate and isolated incident" which should not be allowed to affect broader ties.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-19 20:18:25 |Display all floors
sansukong

you are more likely to be the underpaid maid than to be a diplomat.

why so worried about diplomat?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 03:21:28 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-12-19 19:18
sansukong
why so worried about diplomat?
Have you got no concern or sympathy for her on how she is being treated? What about her self-esteem or respect, as a lady?

你有没有关心或同情对她来说关于她如何被对待?
关于什么她的自尊或尊重作为一个女人?

Note: Translation...(not absolute)...
FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 04:56:01 |Display all floors
restoring (a joke) what...the damage is already been done  {:soso_e114:}{:soso_e109:}{:soso_e135:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-12-20 06:34:39 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2013-12-20 03:21
Have you got no concern or sympathy for her on how she is being treated? What about her self-estee ...

She actually got treated better than most prisoners. She was not handcuffed, she was allowed to sit in her car and make phone calls to arrange child care, she was brought hot drinks and offered hot food while in the car, and she was allowed to keep her cell phone.

As standard security procedure, she was strip-searched by a female officer in a private room in order to be absolutely sure she wasn't bringing in anything that could be harmful to herself or another prisoner.

The moral of the story: don't lie on Visa applications and exploit workers and then expect consular immunity (not full diplomatic immunity) to keep you free.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 07:35:01 |Display all floors
India has grown some cahones in taking on the Anglo-Americans.

Well done India! Time to draw closer to real friends like Russia and China.

The yankees are uncivilized and uncultured.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-20 08:31:18 |Display all floors
zhurnalist Post time: 2013-12-20 07:35
India has grown some cahones in taking on the Anglo-Americans.

Well done India! Time to draw closer ...

India orders series of reprisals against US

A political row between India and the US is escalating over an Indian diplomat’s arrest in New York, as New Delhi is taking a series of retaliatory measures.

The Indian Ministry of External Affairs has ordered the revocation of all ID cards issued by the ministry to officials at US consulates across the country.

The issuance of all import clearances for the American Embassy will also be stopped.

Reports say Indian security forces are also removing police barricades from streets near the US Embassy. The barricades around the embassy were put in place as part of enhanced security.

Last week, India's deputy consul general Devyani Khobragade was arrested in New York over visa fraud allegations.

India has called the move humiliating and completely unacceptable. The Indian foreign minister has spoken about the measures against the US.

Meanwhile, top Indian politicians have refused to meet with a US Congressional delegation over the arrest.

India’s opposition candidate for the position of prime minister, Narendra Modi, said on Tuesday that he along with other top politicians have declined the meeting with the five-member US team due to the detention of India’s deputy consul general.

The developments come after the US used sophisticated equipment to spy on the Indian Embassy in Washington and India's UN office in New York.

Reports say the US National Security Agency (NSA) has targeted Indian diplomatic mission on the US soil over the past few months.

The US spies reportedly bugged telephone lines of the Indian diplomatic missions and copied their hard disks.

India is on a top secret list of countries targeted for intensive spying. The latest developments are set to deteriorate relations between the two countries.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.