Views: 6080|Replies: 5

The story of a programmer learning English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-17 20:53:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by bravos at 2013-12-17 21:16

I am a computer programmer.

Some four month ago, my passion of learning English was rekindled after I had completed my last programming project, a rewarding one, I’d like to say. Feeling nothing to do, I didn’t choose to smell the flowers or do something else, but to ‘revitalize’ my long-neglected English.

As regards to my English, I was an average student when I was a college student, when I thought I knew about 6,000 English words and was desperate to know that there was actually one million words in this language. And in July, on Chinadaily BBS, I admitted that I only knew around 1,500 words and I knew most of my words were gone with forgotten memories. Since then, I began to learn English 12 hours a day, with increasing my vocabulary as my first priority, a hint made by my teacher Seneca. In four months, I read 5 English novels, and memorized 6,000 English words, and amazingly, I found back my lost words in the same process.

As a learner of English, I do not have a retentive memory though I am not stupid, either. Seneca, both a friend and a mentor, enlightened and inspired me. Under the tutelage of this incisive mentor, combined with my painstaking efforts, I made rapid progress.

As a programmer, I am not a humdinger, but I still made myself some amazing utilities to facilitate my English learning progress. I use an English-English dictionary called ‘Collins’, and I bought a hard-cover of it. Unfortunately, the words are so small that I have developed sore eyes. So I wrote a tool for myself. When I feed it a batch of new words, it will automatically produce a customary glossary with both meanings and phonetic symbols. It is noteworthy that one of Collins’ advantages is that you don’t need any exemplary sentences to know a word’s usages because it is already cleverly imbedded into the meaning part. I begin to memorize words alphabetically. Reading such a print out is as good as reading a popular science book.

I was not contended. I made another tool that is capable of extracting all the words that I don’t know from a novel, such as ‘Gone with the Wind’. Again, this solves the new words dilemma. I know most English learners are intimidated by the avalanche of new words when the try to dabble in an English novel. Now I have overcome this obstacle with my programming knowledge. With this tool, I began to savor original masterpieces in English and never cringed at new words.

Chinadaily forum is my cyber home. I live here, I get a teacher here, and I make friends here. As a budding star on the forum, I hope I can contribute more with better English.

Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-17 21:24:13 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-17 21:05
Not all learners have as quick a mind as you, Bravos! Congratulations for your great success!

Thank you! I think I am a 'budding star' here, but someone else pmed me that I am a 'budding stir' here!
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-12-17 22:36:45 |Display all floors
That's a great read

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 14:53:00 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2013-12-17 22:36
That's a great read

Thanks.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 21:06:41 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-18 16:29
Maybe the poster who PMed you has dyslexia and cannot spell "star" without using an "i".

'Dyslexia' is a word for me. I wish I could have one hundredth of your lexicon.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-18 21:20:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-18 21:14
Don't envy me. A lexicon is  very heavy equipment. In my case, I fall out of the bed every day at  ...

Hah! I'd rather blame Newton other than blame the lexicon or the floor.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.