Views: 25727|Replies: 188

Why are American Sitcoms so Raunchy?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-15 19:50:26 |Display all floors
No matter "Broke Sisters"  or "The Big Bang Theory", American Sitcoms appear to be too much sex-related, and lots of sex-related words are used, including p-e-n-i..., breas..., blow j..., and lots of similar stuff. Surely enough, they have drawn lots of laughters.

Now I'm wondering: are kids allowed to watch such stuff?
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-15 21:08:27 |Display all floors
  Are u potty ? I take exception to the view that American sitcoms are riddled with bawdy or tacky stuff, including  the one you have mentioned here-The Big Bang Theory, which is produced by the acclaimed HBO network.

Actually, most Chinese TV productions strike me as barmy and lowbrow, particularly the ones produced by 湖南卫视, which is widely seen as the tub-thumper  or promulgator of  low-rent TV culture in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-15 21:54:11 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2013-12-15 21:08
Are u potty ? I take exception to the view that American sitcoms are riddled with bawdy or tacky s ...

Thanks for you reply, though you didn't answer my question.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-15 22:33:01 |Display all floors
If you think the shows are too sexy, then you could change the channel - no?
It is up to the parents to decide what programming their children watch.
For the most part the shows you noted would only be watched by teenagers - if at all.
I'm not sure what time they are on there as networks have certain 'family viewing' time frames.
Perhaps you would prefer watching the Chinee programming which is heavily censored, including for news.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-15 22:38:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tedbrent at 2013-12-15 22:41

To my knowledge, American kids are keen to watch channels like Disney Channel , Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network; they are above watching TV dramas targeting grown-ups, say, The Big Bang Theory. The same goes true here in China; Chinese kids are drawn to TV channels that have amusing cartoons.

I think that's the best answer to your question-that is,  there are no grounds to believe that American kids are bent on watching TV productions targeting grown-ups.

More to the point, bile-infused, sexually suggestive and even skanky racial words can be found everywhere in any nation, not just in America. I'm not someone plumping for the virtues of Americanization or the so-called  Hollywood culture; however, I wouldn't call its show biz an embodiment of cultural declination like you.

Granted, it's  true that some American TV productions or dramas are by no means funny or enchanting. American production companies roll out B-list movies overflowing with ho-hum stuff  to boot.

Do I make myself clear this time?  What I'm  really trying to say is that it's clear that you are averse to watching American sitcoms, so it's understandable for you to have made such pontificating utterances. Why don't you watch our own Chinese dramas instead? How about watching Japanese and Korean sitcoms? I have been watching one for weeks.

Anyway, take care.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-16 09:14:19 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2013-12-15 22:38
To my knowledge, American kids are keen to watch channels like Disney Channel , Nickelodeon or Car ...

Thanks for you enlightenment, though bitter sometimes.

I watch American English because I want to learn American English, including American way of intonation, stress, and pronunciation. I Learned British English when I was at school. Now the 'converting' is in progress.

As far as I know, American kids are entitled to have sex when they reach the age of 16. That's pretty early for their Chinese equivalent. So I guess that age doesn't count too much there in the U.S.

Still, I guess embarrassment might occur when a kid overhears the sex contents.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-16 10:10:32 |Display all floors
  Oh, I see. Sorry for being boorish. I'm not female, so sometimes I can be truly aggressive. There is no need to learn American English deliberately and it's too simplistic to say that learning American English is order of the day now, to my way of thinking. Indeed, I'm not American, so I can only speak for myself.

As to the issue of  having sex early,  it would seem that has also become a trend in  recent years here in China, with scores of pupils scrambling to find boyfriends or girlfriends and getting laid in early ages. Personally, I think that's decidedly terrible for them; but it's natural for kids to make bloopers like this, allowing for their naiviety and the strong effects  of their  unfettered sexual desire.

I'm no expert in this regard, so I'm just saying.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.