Author: DSseeing

Should British students ditch French and learn Mandarin?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-10 08:53:13 |Display all floors
chinese is the most difficult language to study in the world

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-10 17:31:43 |Display all floors
British children find it hard to study other European languages so how are they going to learn even more complex languages such as Mandarin?
Overall ranking from the top in math scores are
1.Shanghai (China)
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Taiwan
5. South Korea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-10 18:43:13 |Display all floors
Many schools in the UK are now offering German and Chinese as a second language option. French has only been taught as a second language for so long because of tradition. Also many years ago France was the nearest and most popular of countries for tourists to visit.  The growing opportunity to learn a variety of languages can only be welcomed..... and Mandarin Chinese would seem to be a valuable option for those wishing to benefit from China's growth and importance in the world.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-10 22:35:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2013-12-10 09:43

There is something wrong with my brain. I just don't pick up spoken languages. I can't even follow spoken French! I'm better at reading and writing. Regarding Mandarin, yes, I sure would encourage parents to have their young children learn Mandarin by exposure to Chinese families at the earliest age. I'm convinced the world will have TWO uniting languages in the future - Chinese and English. I also think Mandarin will adopt a simpler phonetic written notation that will make it easier to type on computers. In a hundred years, a high proportion of humanity will speak and write both languages. In another few hundred these languages will mix together and become the universal language of homo sapiens as we spread thru the galaxy. I know this sounds unlikely now; but the future techniques of language-training will be a combination of computing power and neuroscience. For now, it is young children who have the growing brains that are flexible-enough to learn two languages far easier than adults. Speaking and thinking in both languages will enable empathy and understanding between these two major cultures. I wonder what Michael M (who is an authority on languages) thinks of this?
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-10 22:56:05 |Display all floors
another word is IF the westerners dont look down upon *china (IF & ONLY if china is on the rise for another decade or so) then it's not a hard choice for the foreigners to learn & adopt chinese  {:soso_e114:}{:soso_e109:}{:soso_e135:}

*most people around the world just realizin what & where china is today's
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-11 06:54:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2013-12-10 17:59
youknowhat Post time: 2013-12-10 09:56
another word is IF the westerners dont look down upon *china (IF & ONLY if china is on the rise for  ...

We westerners have not been looking down on China ever since they detonated their first atomic bomb. The day after, we were driving from London, Ontario to Toronto for an outing of medical students. A very mature student who I admired, Colin Wong, said "I can't help being proud". And this guy was a hyper-capitalist! Since China ended its cultural revolution, and began its extra-ordinary economic growth, my admiration for Chinese has grown steadily th. This is helped by my friendship with quite a few "overseas Chinese" who are fully-integated into Canadian society. There is much respect for Chinese in Canada!
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-11 16:40:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-10 22:54
?

Only for the mentally handicapped.

ohh,
is that so...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.