Views: 7692|Replies: 37

JAPAN STUNS UN CLIMATE TALKS BY DITCHING CO2 TARGET [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-11-17 09:55:39 |Display all floors

JAPAN STUNS UN CLIMATE TALKS BY DITCHING CO2 TARGET

Date: 15/11/13

Bloomberg News

Japan set a new target for greenhouse gas emissions that critics say will set back United Nations talks for a treaty limiting fossil fuel emissions. The new target effectively reverses course from the goal set four years ago by allowing a 3.1 per cent increase in emissions from 1990 levels rather than seeking a 25 per cent cut.

“This move by Japan could have a devastating impact on the tone of discussion here in Warsaw,” Naoyuki Yamagishi, an official at WWF Japan, said in a statement at climate talks in Poland in anticipation of Japan’s decision “It could further accelerate the race to the bottom among other developed countries when the world needs decisive and immediate actions to ‘raise’ ambition, not to ‘lower’ ambition.”

The new target, announced today by Minister of the Environment Nobuteru Ishihara in Tokyo, calls for Japan to cut emissions by 3.8 per cent by 2020 compared with 2005 levels. Ministry data shows Japan’s production of greenhouse gases increased 7 per cent by 2005 compared with 1990, the baseline for the government’s previous goal.

The country’s previous commitment, set in 2009, sought to reduce emissions 25 per cent by 2020 from 1990 levels. The new goal would represent a 3.1 per cent increase from 1990 if that year is used as the starting point, according to Bloomberg calculations.

Full story

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-17 11:26:48 |Display all floors
Japan is having second thoughts about relying primarily on nuclear energy.  If it relies on fossil fuels, it will increase its CO2 emissions, rather than reduce it.  Rumors of Fukushima continuing to leak radiation may explain its recent about face.  But, increasing CO2 pollution on top of the radiation pollution Fukushima is creating may make her population get sicker over time.  Not a very smart price to pay for the luxury of being treated like royalty in Western political circles, when home is where pollution reigns.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-17 12:27:19 |Display all floors
sansukong..................you have been  working your whole life to get US to ditch its CO2 target...........you forgot?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-17 12:33:02 |Display all floors

all in all, the biggest culprit and biggest polluter with the fastest rate of increase  is China
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-18 04:25:01 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-11-17 12:39
It is not a propitious time to announce such intentions. The Japanese ought to stick, as all industr ...

Why are you so silent about Japan literally irradiating the whole Pacific Ocean with cesium and strontium spilling out of its imperial nuclear reactors.  The lack of accountability of Tepco to the Japanese government even at the highest levels, to the Japanese people, and to the international community indicates it is at the level of an imperial asset.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-18 06:52:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-11-18 08:53

Japan is finally awakening to reality on this issue! If they are able to say it confidently in an international forum, it means they have thought it through, made up their minds and are taking a stand. Good on them! Australia already has, so has the US - it is now the largest producer of oil in the world - it had stepped up production in recent times. As they say, dont watch the mouths (as they talk), watch the hands (as they do). There is a lesson for the rest of the world.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-18 08:37:40 |Display all floors
abramicus Post time: 2013-11-18 04:25
Why are you so silent about Japan literally irradiating the whole Pacific Ocean with cesium and st ...

No idea what you talking.

Sansukong, the rat.

Once a rat always a rat.

And in his case, a drain rat loving fifth and polluted environments.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.