Author: sunnylin01

Is it ok to charge foreigners more than locals?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-11-15 15:35:12 |Display all floors
quite common in China!

i had the same experience when i had a trip to the Qinghai lake, i forgot what is the name of the village where i spent a day there. its restaurant have two menus, one is for travellers, another is for the locals.

later i found out that the other menu didnt have the price on it, only dish names and pictures.
the locals talked with each other in local languages which we didnt understand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-15 15:42:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wowzers at 2013-11-15 15:45

This happens everywhere, they're called "tourist traps". Savvy travelers know to always ask the price first and then haggle it. Never hurts to ask for a discount.

In Guangzhou we have the Canton Trade Fair twice yearly and prices do go up. However, there are some restaurants that don't raise their prices (Or they give regulars the usual pricing) and they are the establishments I frequent all year round, the others can go get stuffed.

Also, (As a foreigner) I save any shopping for clothing or other higher ticket items, for well before or after the Fairs. That's if I am shopping myself. If I am with the missus (She's Chinese) I will find what I want and get her to go buy without me. She can always gets a better deal.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-11-15 15:48:38 |Display all floors
aaooq Post time: 2013-11-15 15:35
quite common in China!

i had the same experience when i had a trip to the Qinghai lake, i forgot wh ...

Yes, all the tourists are overcharged. There are dual pricing at almost all the scenic spots across the country, and they can judge by your accents or dressing to see if you are locals or not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-15 15:51:21 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2013-11-15 15:42
This happens everywhere, they're called "tourist traps". Savvy travelers know to always ask the pric ...

Not everyone is as lucky as you are.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-15 15:57:53 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2013-11-15 15:42
This happens everywhere, they're called "tourist traps". Savvy travelers know to always ask the pric ...

By the way, do tourists being overcharged only occur in the developing countries? I mean it is quite common in countries like Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Egypt, and India. But what about the developed countries?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-15 15:59:11 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-15 15:59:25 |Display all floors
2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.