Views: 6349|Replies: 18

Should a teacher push students to write self-criticism letters?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-11-1 15:33:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2013-11-1 15:38

The day before yesterday, a 10-year-old boy in Chengdu fell to death from the top of his home building. From what the police found on the scene, it's suspected to be a suicide case.

Especially when a line of charaters were found written on the cover that read, "Teaher (an honorable title that students call), I can't do it, I've tried a few times to jump, I backed away each time."

The banner was put up at the school gate by the boy's parents.
Have you ever written a self-criticism letter? I haven't, But I suppose it should be very humiliating to do that. Should a teacher push students to write self-criticism letters in your opinion?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 15:35:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2013-11-1 15:35

The boy was allegedly punished physically and forced to write a 1,000-characters self-criticizing letter, as he talked when there was a  recital contest going on. The teacher may have told him to jump from a building if he couldn't write up to 1,000 characters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 15:36:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2013-11-1 15:39

"I can't do it". At present, the father is negotiating with the school and the local education department.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 15:39:44 |Display all floors

• 重新播放
  • |
  • 转播到微博
  • 分享到空间

大家都在看

进入腾讯图片站

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-1 16:39:10 |Display all floors
I'm wordering whether there is such thing as self-criticism letters in foreign country.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-11-1 19:25:09 |Display all floors
self-criticism
Chairman Mao.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-2 05:35:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2013-11-2 07:37

Self-criticism is also called reflection - children are taught very young in western countries to go sit in a corner and think about what they have done, if they have done something naughty. but it kind of stops and by the time they are teenagers, they are not expected to reflect much.. Many do, but many grow up to be brats that have no regard for people around them...they think they are the center of the universe. for adults, they are given a chance to admit wrong doing and tender an apology to help move on. like all things, it can be carried to an extreme. In itself, reflection on one's own actions is the best way to live and learn. it does not have to be 'humiliating' or uniquely chinese. it can be humbling to see that we are ourselves not all that grand as we make ourselves out to be, or someone keeps telling us how wonderful we are. reflection can make us very good human beings. the example in this post seem like something a teacher carried too far on his own ego and without regard for the student's feelings and state of mind. the teacher should now write a self-criticism...
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.