Views: 9294|Replies: 14

Can anyone help my girlfriend's sister get a fair price for her land in Hubei? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-31 01:40:13 |Display all floors
This is a common situation in China right now.

My girlfriend's sister lives in their hometown in Hubei province, which is being "eaten" by the nearby city. The government sent her a letter with an "offer" to buy her house and land. She doesn't feel the price is fair.

Has anyone here faced that issue successfully, that is, gotten the government to pay a fair price instead of their first offer?

My girlfriend tells me that in China, since this is the all-powerful government, one needs to know the right person to come up with a solution. One cannot use logic or the law. (I suggested asking a lawyer, but she is convinced that is not going to help)

If you know someone who might be able to help or someone who has successfully negotiated, would you please let me know by Personal Message so I can put my girlfriend's sister in touch with him/her?

Alternately, maybe something else can be helpful; something that would help but is maybe not along the line of what I'm thinking?

My girlfriend told her sister: "we will try, but you should be ready to accept the government's offer if we can't find the right person."

I often read articles here of Chinese farmers taking drastic measures, often ending in their own death, to try to physically protect their livelihoods from the government. I wonder if there are some cases that end up more happily...

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-10-31 04:23:05 |Display all floors
Yes... Famous house in the middle of the road. Was it in Zhejiang?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-31 08:09:41 |Display all floors
Many of such battles were fought in the Shanghai/ Pudong area and at the "tree gorges dam" project reallocating all those people.

Some win some loose.

I would stay calm and resist as long as possible and always maintain the communication flow with the officials in charge of such projects. Always react quick and in writing to any offers and stay within the given timeline/ schedules given to answer or take up communication. Don't get drawn into quarrels with many persons or groups involved. A lawyer would become necessary when you know surely you are getting treated different than others. But it is a last qoice I would make as is also could becom costly.

Good luck.  {:soso_e183:}
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-10-31 11:42:23 |Display all floors
Happened to my wife's aunt, the government offered 20% OVER the market price. She sold. Some people tried to resist. They got expelled and received no money.

It was in Shanghai so the situation may be different than Hubei but, from what I heard the government's first offer is generally slightly over the market price. Some people think it's unfair because they lived their for years and they will have to make a new home, some people are greedy and want more. But from a pure real estate price point of view it generally is fair.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-10-31 11:52:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2013-10-31 11:59

I joined in an action to force dismantling a farmer's houses at the first half year of 2013.
First local police had driven the members of the family away from the houses. Following the local government began to dismantle.
Of course the local government had sued the farmer for the houses without legal paper. The government took action after court decision.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-31 12:17:37 |Display all floors
In constitution. the land is owned by the country, not by one person or one company. In local laws and rules, each farmer can have a fixed legal quota of houses.
However, in the past 10 years, almost all of farmers in suburban area hurried to build as many shabby houses as possible right after they knew their lands was about to build sth in government's city planning. Many farmers also planted dead trees, crops, etc, in their land at one night.
So, the key question here,
Is your girlfriend's sister's houses legal?  Does she have property ownership certificate?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-31 12:32:37 |Display all floors
To be frank,
1. not to be the first one to sign the agreement,
be sure not to be the last one
2. try to get an inside relationship in town government and in village management organization.
3. in common, signed ealier would get less, signed later would get more, if you don't have an inside relationship
4. if one of family members (not in high-level) works in government, his career would probably be hurt after you hadn't support government's action.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.