Author: voice_cd

How would you describe second language learning in your country?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-11-3 10:57:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-10-23 02:50
The question really should be:

Is there any country in the world where no foreign language is taugh ...

""What deserves some thought is that so few actually succeed at learning enough of it to say more than "Hello!""

And what's your excuse for having such poor English?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-11-3 13:43:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-11-2 21:16
Can you say more than "Hello" in any language?

Of course.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-8 09:24:33 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-10-25 04:46
In my country of birth, learning a second or third language was the norm. but local languages have d ...

When I was at secondary school in Oz (Technical College) I studied neither English or any other Language.
English was replaced with a subject called Humanities and study of a foreign language was a non compulsory subject .
Things have definately changed for the better.
Don't argue with idiots! They will always win. First they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
When the power of love, overtakes the love of power,  the world will have peace.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-8 09:32:52 |Display all floors
BugaLugs Post time: 2013-11-8 11:24
When I was at secondary school in Oz (Technical College) I studied neither English or any other La ...

yes, the faciliities, options and money spent on these are really enormous, I see that very few students really take up the second language seriously. When it is for free (through taxes) most dont value it enough. When we were kids, if we wanted to learn a foreign language even in a cosmopolitan city, you had to pay privately, commute on crowded and unreliable public transport half way across town for about once or twice a week. Few families could afford that. But everyone who went to learn made something of it.
Of course, there are a few students here, that I know, who do extremely well and utilise the resources. Australia is excellent in the facilities provided.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-8 09:43:32 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2013-11-8 09:32
yes, the faciliities, options and money spent on these are really enormous, I see that very few st ...

Totally agree with you.
I sometimes wish i had the oppurtunities in education when i was a student that are available now.
But then i remember what a lazy %$^# of a student i was.
Don't argue with idiots! They will always win. First they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
When the power of love, overtakes the love of power,  the world will have peace.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2013-11-8 09:48:50 |Display all floors
BugaLugs Post time: 2013-11-8 11:43
Totally agree with you.
I sometimes wish i had the oppurtunities in education when i was a student ...

never mind, we all can look back and see the times when we did not use up what was given to us on a plate, more than our parents had. Now, the way we can make up for it, is to get the next generation to use what is given them... may be we can help one or two at a time. that will do and make up for something.
Of course, often I wonder if we can help the next generation use things more and better by actually providing them with less - make them struggle and work hard to earn the opportunity to learn... Difficult in a land of plenty... Any future recession is not all bad..
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-11-10 11:27:56 |Display all floors
jixiang1 Post time: 2013-10-23 11:26
You've been learning English since grade one, ad yet you made a mistake. " i have been learning it ...

without serious sense in the daily practice, so i often make the mistakes.
Sir, thank you very much for you rkindly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.