Author: Lillian92

China media calls for 'de-Americanized world'   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-10-16 17:52:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2013-10-16 13:52
Kbay Post time: 2013-10-16 13:05
China should spearhead a Global Reserve Currency, or an Asia Reserve Currency.
The GRC or ARC should ...

China will also raise the dead, heal the sick and the lame will walk before that happens
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 17:59:32 |Display all floors
The writer does make some good points. However, i feel that a "de-Americanised" world is already under way; I am not commenting on the positives or negatives of declining American influence, but it is my perception that its happening.

In large parts of the world the US decline in influence seems to be occurring more quickly than predicted. It may be pivoting towards Asia and gaining more influence within that particular region - but only because so many countries there are nervous of Chinese power.

S. America seems to be exerting a great deal more self interest and has little tolerance for perceived American (or any other) interference. Some of the countries in S. America seem to be moving towards having more personal freedoms that the West!

The Middle-East/N.Africa as always is a mess - but as the US dependence for oil on the area declines, it withdraws from Afghanistan, fails to have an impact in Syria and potentially sees less of a threat in Iran  its role in the region will surely become less significant. Even regional powers like Turkey are increasingly less dependent on US patronage.

Africa is increasingly influenced by Chinese investment and arguable the US is no more influential than Europe.

Europe and the US are developing a more equitable relationship in some respects though I don't see significant decline in US influence within Europe - certainly its cultural/soft power influence is more than evidence.

Then you have Chine, Russia and India all promoting themselves rather rather effectively in different ways on the national stage using investment and trade to drive their national agenda (rather than military force). This weakens the US position as they are no longer the 1 big player.

I do disagree that the UN is the way forward, however. At least not in its current form. I can't see many occasions where either Russia or China would support military action. Not because they have a moral objection to it (they are no less comfortable selling arms to oppressive regimes that the West), but rather because military action against a despotic dictator is bad for business.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 19:18:26 |Display all floors
I agree that a new international reserve currency is a good idea. But it  will require much planning and cooperation. I also agree that the US should be more internationalist. It seems to me that Obama is already moving in this direction (with much opposition from the American right). He has basically assigned Russia the leading role in the ending of the Syrian civil war - with the agreement of all permanent members of the UN Security Council. The Korean situation is being approached internationally - with China having the leading role. Have the past mistakes of US administrations caused people to overlook this progress? The trend is now for the major powers to work together for peace, stability and prosperity. If Obama manages to defeat the US right (and I think he will), a new productive era will begin. I note the recent responsible actions of China and Russia. Definitely, the US will no longer be the only policeman of the world.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 21:43:10 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-10-16 07:07
As a citizen of the USA I totally agree with this article.
After the supposed 'war to end all wars', ...

Imagine how much that beloved camera of yours will cost if it was not shipped. Or the myriad things that ensures a cosy existence in Montana!

Global force for good - US Navy!

However, the freedom of the seas that encourage trade and prosperity has only happened when some strong military force has protected safety on the high seas. That always has meant fighting off the bandits, pirates, and trade-blocking forces that would have made trade too expensive to supply people’s needs.

Trade requires freedom of the seas because ships are always the cost-effective way to move heavy stuff. In fact, the U.S. Navy’s first real triumph was suppressing the Barbary pirates who were seizing American ships and enslaving our sailors in the early 19th century.
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 21:44:56 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-10-16 13:55
We'll see!

I will wager you all my wordly goods that it won't happen in this millenium! How about that for confidence.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-10-16 22:24:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-10-16 22:31:20 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2013-10-16 22:24
Music to my ears.

Xinhua are awesome. It was Xinhua that warned the USA after their humiliating Cre ...

Without the yankees, chinese would be saluating hirohito 3 or 4 emperor ...China should be a little more grateful to America. And not only queuing in front of ystore for showing off the last ifone.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.