Author: DSseeing

Pinyin input is killing Chinese writing, what to do?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-11 17:02:16 |Display all floors
lyu.jpg

this is Zhengzhou (henan) underground. this is what i don't understand, and one problem that worries me.
they have spelt "Lu cheng" very very wrong (on the train it's spelt "Lv") how many people were involved in the design, manufacturing, and installation of these signs. even on the train, every train, it is still spelt wrong. are these people really so stupid that they dont realise there is a simple kindergarden mistake, or are they so scared to say something incase their boss loses face?
how many government officials came to open these stations/subway yet no-one would say anything?

what scares me is this: if they are so careless about something as simple as spelling, have they been careful in the building of the subway, and its safety equipment?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-11 17:12:08 |Display all floors
this is zhengzhou green square subway station.
there are 2 spellings for this station:
Lyu
Lv
on every single train, and station they have spelt this wrong.
it makes me wonder what were people thinking when they built the subway. so many people involved in the designing, and building yet no-one thought to say something or made an effort to change it. even the government officials that went to the opening never said anything (its spelt LV on map of the station)

if they are so careless in something as simple as pinyin, have they been careful in the building of the subway/safety equipment?
lyu.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-12 09:45:25 |Display all floors
thedrunkingpig Post time: 2014-9-11 17:12
Lyu

Welcome to China, the land of spelling errors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-13 17:13:11 |Display all floors
thedrunkingpig Post time: 2014-9-11 17:12
Lyu

But the Chinese characters are written correctly. Transliterations are not as important. Chinese people have no use for them on signs, but they add them only as a favor for English speakers. And also, pinyin is not the only system available for transliteration.
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.