Views: 7499|Replies: 34

Asian Americans sweep the Miss American competition   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:18:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by linda_sun at 2013-9-17 15:37

Miss New York, Nina Davuluri, was crowned Miss America on Sunday evening in Atlantic City.
The 24-year-old Syracuse resident is the first ever winner of Indian heritage.
While Davuluri is proud of her heritage — even performing a Bollywood dance during Sunday's show and competing on a theme of “Celebrating Diversity through Cultural Competency” — many weren't pleased.
What should have been a happy occasion turned sour.
Following Davuluri's win, racist trolls took to Twitter to complain about the decision.
The Daily Mail grabbed some screenshots of tweets following the ceremony:
1.png

But Davuluri, who is not Muslim, has tried to ignore the hateful comments.
In interview after being crowned Miss America, she said: "I have to rise above that... I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."
"I'm so happy this organization has embraced diversity," she said in a press conference after winning the crown in Atlantic City, N.J.'s Boardwalk Hall. "I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:19:29 |Display all floors

Miss New York Nina Davuluri, center, reacts after being named Miss America 2014 pageant as Miss California Crystal Lee, left, and Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagan celebrate with her on Sunday evening in Atlantic City, N.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-17 13:38:06 |Display all floors
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with race. Have you ever noticed how BIG these women's mouths can get? I know they are excited, but...WOW. Use a search engine and look at photos of the past winners.  If you are a man, you might be impressed.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:49:19 |Display all floors
Boilermaker21 Post time: 2013-9-17 13:38
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with race. Have you ever noticed how BIG these women's mouth ...

Every culture has its own interpretation of beauty.  In China, a woman who has a mouth that is 'small like a cherry' is traditionally considered as attractive. Whereas a traditionally good looking woman in popular American culture has a big mouth and lips.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:51:19 |Display all floors

1.jpg

Passing on the crown: It has been reported that there is bad blood between Ms Davuluri, front, and Ms Hagan, behind, after the newly crowned miss America allegedly called her predecessor ‘fat as s***’

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:54:16 |Display all floors
3.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2013-9-17 13:54:32 |Display all floors
4.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.