Author: DSseeing

China historically became dirt poor because... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-13 12:33:50 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-13 02:54
I agree.

Wars cost lives and money.

Yes of course ! But do not forget greed and struggle for power and curroption.  The last is the worst enemy to any state
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-13 14:52:48 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-13 09:38
But looking inward is the culpit for becoming dirt poor?
What do you think imperialism has done  ...

Perhaps not so much looking inward, but a combination of poor Governance in the subsequent dynasties, which had no vision for the future. Just by not participating in the globalization effort going on throughout the world during this period, China missed the chance to expand their economic base and knowledge base, in entirely new industries, that was opened up to the West during their period of imperialism. By merely no longer having the aspiration for advancement and nation building, the development of technology suffers, in fact it deteriorated, to the point where many crucial technologies were lost because there were no longer wanted or needed. It boils down to a lack of aspiration and bad Governance. As for imperialism in the 18th and 19th century, one could argue it has done more good than harm. The reason is quite simple, when Napoleon said "let China sleep, for when the Dragon awakes, she will shake the world", he was absolutely right. There comes a point where poor Governance, causes an entire nation to be lulled back to slumber and in agrarian society like the Chinese society, that was a profoundly easy trap to fall into if you have bad dynastic rulers at the top, it takes very tragic events to shake a slumbering nation back into action again. The Opium war or the world wars may have very tragic consequences for the Chinese people, but out of those carnages came new awareness, courage, and conviction to force difficult changes and to make new progress, because no cost at that time was too much a price a pay. The question that remains is who are the Chinese willing to blame for all the consequences you listed, the imperialist, or themselves for allowing it to happen. I think blaming yourself brings progress, blaming others is falling back into the trap.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-13 16:29:13 |Display all floors
lostfornames Post time: 2013-9-13 14:52
Perhaps not so much looking inward, but a combination of poor Governance in the subsequent dynasti ...

Good point. We should look at the two sides of this matter.
China has paid the price for being "asleep" for so long.
There were even twists and turns after teh liberation.
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-9-13 20:24:43 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-13 09:54
I agree.

Do you feel that China right now is somehow making the same mistakes as during the Qing dinasty ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-16 14:50:09 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-9-13 20:24
Do you feel that China right now is somehow making the same mistakes as during the Qing dinasty ?

No
I don't think so. Although there are a lot of administration problems, overall, China is on the right path.
But the Government should be aware of the environment issues. China can't develop on the sacrifice of the environment, or else it'll take a toll on China that it won't afford
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-9-17 10:44:38 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-16 14:50
No
I don't think so. Although there are a lot of administration problems, overall, China is on th ...

I was more thinking on the line of the "we don't need you" attitude.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2014-1-5 07:04:36 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-9-13 09:54
I agree.

Wars give people JOBS.....it will spark the economy....not hurt it...
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.