Author: sansukong

Chile's Atacama Desert Sees Rare Snowfall [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-2 18:59:16 |Display all floors
Snow: Tens Of Thousands Stranded
Extreme snowfall in Peru leaves around 33,000 people stranded and around half a million livestock dead.                                                                                              
5:04am UK, Sunday 01 September 2013

Tens of thousands of people have been left stranded in southern Peru following what authorities say is the worst snowfall the region has seen in a decade. Two people in the province of Carabaya have died as a result of the unusual cold spell, local officials said. One of the victims was a 75-year-old man who was killed when the roof of his house caved in under the weight of snow that had accumulated above.A line of at least 100 stranded vehicles were seen between the road connecting Arequipa and Puno, after it was closed because of persistent snow and hail.Heavy rain and icy cold temperatures have caused roads to become impassable, police said. More than three feet (one metre) of snow has hit this region in the last few days

Stranded vehicles on the road connecting Arequipa and PunoSince early August, several provinces in Puno have seen the mercury drop below -15C.

Forecasters predict more wintry conditions in the coming days in Puno and other southern regions where the livelihood of the population comes from farming and raising alpacas and llamas.

Around a quarter of a million alpacas have died from the cold and starvation, and the government is doing what it can to feed them to try to prevent more deaths. "We're providing 5,000 bales of hay that have been distributed in different districts and here in the province of Carabaya, we're also giving them vitamins, 12,000 doses for the alpacas," said an unidentified government official who was helping residents in Carabaya.Peru's president Ollanta Humala declared a 60-day state of emergency in nine provinces on Tuesday as a result of the continuing bad weather. Other South American countries have also been affected by the cold weather system. In Bolivia, eight people have reportedly lost their lives and in Paraguay, two people are believed to have died of hypothermia.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 19:17:52 |Display all floors
NgTran Post time: 2013-9-2 16:06
The answer is: Climate Change.

The only thing that is constant with the climate is : Change from day one!

Translate...(not absolute)...
的唯一东西,是恒定的与气候,从第一天开始就是变化!

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 19:20:21 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2013-9-2 19:17
The only thing that is constant with the climate is : Change from day one!

there is science, and knowledge

and then...there are also Morano cheese and rat stuffs.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 19:24:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by NgTran at 2013-9-2 19:25

Your little story of the Atacama desert does not say anything.

If you want to tell us, that it became "colder" in the Atacama desert, then you are wrong.

The Atacama has been very cold always, many degrees below zero.

The snowfall you are reporting is actually a hint, that it became "warmer" - most snowfall happens around zero degrees.

Another abnormality is, that there has been precipitation at all.

So, you gave us an evidence of a "warming up" of the Atacama ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 19:32:36 |Display all floors
NgTran Post time: 2013-9-2 19:24
Your little story of the Atacama desert does not say anything.

If you want to tell us, that it beca ...

science and knowledge requires understanding, requires learning and studies.

some thing that sansukong certainly is not capable of.

sansukong prefers to depend on Morano cheese.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 23:32:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-9-2 22:46
While peoplein every desert are threatened with freezing to death at night, the subtropical and trop ...

our desert rat persist with his change from day one.

man has no part in it.
drill baby drill burn baby burn.

Morano cheese is delicious.

no need for science, no need for knowledge, no need for understanding.
no moral immoral rat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-3 06:38:47 |Display all floors

RE: Chile's Atacama Desert Sees Rare Snowfall

Extreme Climates 1: Driest Place  

Atacama Desert

Atacama Desert

There is a disagreement about the driest place on earth. Driest means little or no precipitation so a desert has to be at the top of the list, such as the Atacama Desert in Chile. However, the South Pole has also been named the driest place because cold air has little or no moisture. The only water that falls in the South Pole is in the form of snow. We can't leave out deserts so if we eliminate the South Pole, that leaves the Atacama Desert as the driest place on earth.Ironically, the driest place in the world is next to the biggest body of water - the Pacific Ocean. Some areas of the Atacama Desert haven't had rainfall for 400 years. Normally, it rains every 100 years. Atacama is a desert but you'll still need to bring warm clothes when you visit. Oddly enough, the Atacama is a cold place with temperatures somewhere between 0 and 25 degrees Celsius.
You might think deserts never get any rain but think again. Once in a while a warming effect over the Pacific Ocean affects weather all over the world so even the driest places can be drenched by rainstorms. Atacama always has salt lakes, snow on the mountaintops and some underground water, regardless of how long it's been since the last rainfall.
While you probably couldn't convince your parents to move to the Atacama Desert, there are animals, plants and even people who live in the bone dry region. Some plants have adapted to the environment by developing taproots that run extremely deep into the ground and collect water below. There is even a town called Calama which comes complete with motels, restaurants and shops. So far, the town hasn't seen rain yet. Otherwise, the desert is an empty, lonely place. There are a few dead bodies though. Because the area is so dry, buried Indians have been dried perfectly preserved, turning them into mummies. Egypt isn't the only place to have dried up bodies.

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1103-extreme-climates-1-driest-place

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.