Views: 6710|Replies: 18

Chile's Atacama Desert Sees Rare Snowfall [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-9-2 15:29:41 |Display all floors
Chile's Atacama Desert Sees Rare Snowfall

Local officials say they are concerned that the heaviest snowfall in 30 years could cause rivers to flood. A rare snowfall in Chile's Atacama desert has delighted visitors to one of the world's driest areas.

Residents of San Pedro de Atacama say the weekend snow was the heaviest in three decades for the desert city, which is 750 miles north of the capital, Santiago.

But local officials say they are concerned that the snow and rain that fell over the weekend could cause some rivers to flood as has happened in the past.The national tourism office says the road to the city was temporarily blocked due to the unusual weather.

Officials have not ordered any evacuation, although they expect more rain in the area.The desert is described as the driest hot desert in the world.It is made up mostly of salt lakes, sand and felsic lava.Its average rainfall is less than one inch.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 15:53:38 |Display all floors
So what ?

The Atacama is known to have temperatures far below 0 Celsius.
That desert is known to have seldom rain or snow, it is a desert.

Snow falls usually at rather mild temperatures around 0 Celsius.

The only thing uncommon is, that there had been precitipation at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 16:01:15 |Display all floors
so the  think that is global cooling?

then what about the heat wave in China this summer?

that is all imaginary?

The Kalahari.,  Western Australia deserts, the Sahara.............

these are all next to oceans and yet no rain.

to understand why..................one has to understand the science of oceanography.

A subject way beyond your grasp..............................
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 16:16:02 |Display all floors
no moral compass

full of tricks.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 16:18:55 |Display all floors
every southern winter

sansukong will post pictures of snow in Southern  continent and declare that is proof of his global cooling.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 16:56:17 |Display all floors
NgTran Post time: 2013-9-2 14:53
So what ?

The Atacama is known to have temperatures far below 0 Celsius.

Local officials say they are concerned that the heaviest snowfall in 30 years could cause rivers to flood. A rare snowfall in Chile's Atacama desert has delighted visitors to one of the world's driest areas.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 17:06:59 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2013-9-2 16:56

The answer is: Climate Change.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.