Views: 1883|Replies: 2

Less Restricted Travel in China [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 2

Post time 2013-8-17 16:56:57 |Display all floors
I have a question about travel in China. I know it is required that foreigners are to register with the police. I have no problem with that. i had to do the same thing when I lived in (then) West Germany in the 1980s. Every time I moved, I had to register with the local government office. So, I have no problems with that. My question is of a different nature. I plan on visiting my girlfriend for about three weeks in December this year. She lives in Guangzhou, but we plan on meeting in Beijing and then making our way south to wind up in Hainan. I have some research to do in Shandong Province, so we will stop there for a few days. Then we will travel to Jiangsu Province. Then we will travel further south. Given that on-the-go itinerary, how should I register? We will only be in one place no more than three or four days at most.

Should I take the time to register in Beijing and then not worry about the other locations? I will spend the entire time with a Chinese national, so I don't anticipate too many problems. We are not outgoing "party-type" people. We will enjoy some night life, but it will be December, so it will be cold!

Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2013-8-17 17:28:04 |Display all floors
Officially you should register within 36 hours (48 rural I believe). I always register at the same police station in GZ and as I am on their system it takes only minutes, simply changing dates. Starting from scratch each time would be time consuming.

If you travel and stay in a 3* plus hotel they will register for you. Again "officially" small hotels are not allowed to accept foreigners. Having said that, on a recent visit to Yunnan province, 3 of the 4 small guest house hotels we stayed in wrote down my passport details in a book, one didn't bother. So I am assuming some "tourist" areas have special rules.

In the 8 years I have been visiting, living in and travelling in China I have never been asked for my registration document. However, if you were involved in some "incident" or accident you may well be.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2013-8-17 20:27:28 |Display all floors
The Law Regarding Registration

The law that pertains to registration is outlined in Chapter IV of the Rules for the Implementation of the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Aliens. It says:

    Article 29 Aliens who stay at such enterprises or institutions as guest houses, hotels, inns, hostels, and schools, or at government departments, public organizations and other Chinese institutions shall produce their valid passports or residence permits, and fill in the temporary lodging form. If they accommodate in an area not open to aliens, they shall also produce their travel certificates.

    Article 30 In the event that an alien accommodates at the house of a Chinese resident, if the house is located in a city or a town, the host or the alien himself shall, within 24 hours of the lodger’s arrival submit a report to the local public security organ together with the lodger’s passport and other certificates and the host’s residence booklet, and fill in the temporary lodging registration form; if the host’s house is located in the countryside, the report shall be submitted to the local police station or to the household registration office within 72 hours.

    Article 31 In the event that an alien accommodates at a resident foreign institution in China or at the house of another alien living in China, the host institution, the host or the lodger himself shall, within 24hours of the lodger’s arrival submit a report to the local public security organ together with the lodger’s passport or residence permit, and fill in the temporary lodging registration form.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.