Author: KristaChen

English Name   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-21 20:07:04 |Display all floors
gooddog Post time: 2013-8-21 18:07
Obviously, your ignorance is too much to understand the reality. Why do you choose to teach in Chin ...

First of all, you need to stick with the topic at hand. This isn't about the "freedom" to choose an English name. This is about why people feel the need to choose an English name. By choosing an English name, people are not honoring their nationality, ethnicity, and/or ancestry. In an indirect way, it labels English names as "good" and Chinese names as "bad". It is similar to a person of African descent putting multiple chemicals in their hair to make it straight. It is falsely believing that hair similar to whites is "good" and African hair is "bad". It is a way of believing subtle racism to be true. As I have mentioned multiple times (but you apparently cannot wrap your head around this concept), I prefer people to be true to themselves and not try to be someone else. This isn't a criticism specific to those of Chinese descent. It is a criticism of anyone who deliberately changes something about themselves because of perceived inferiority.
Secondly, I do not work for a Chinese company. I work for an American company in China. I am paid in American dollars in an American bank account. NO ONE OWNS ME! I do not teach at a school. I am the medical provider at the school. I volunteered at a summer English camp for the children of migrant workers. Some of them have heart conditions, so medical personnel was needed. I actually help my community, what do you do?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-21 21:40:16 |Display all floors
What I can not understand is why some foreigners have a Chinese name. Besides, whatever the name Chinese pick up, we still keep our surname. What about those foreigners having a Chinese name? Sometimes, I wondered maybe their ancestors will jump out of their tombs because of too much anger. LOL

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.