Author: sansukong

Fukushima now in state of emergency, leaking 300 tons ....   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-20 11:35:00 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-8-20 09:43
Are you another one of seneca/revolutionar ghosts or just another stooge?

No, but to repeat you speak for one not for a collective "we".

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-8-20 11:37:44 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2013-8-19 19:35
No, but to repeat you speak for one not for a collective "we".

We think you are a stooge and there is nothing you can do about that.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-20 18:25:09 |Display all floors
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear power plant said Tuesday that about 300 tons of highly radioactive water have leaked from one of the hundreds of storage tanks there — its worst leak yet from one of the vessels.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the contaminated water leaked from a steel storage tank at the wrecked Fukushima Dai-ichi plant. TEPCO hasn't figured out how or where the water leaked, but suspects it did so through a valve connected to a gutter around the tank.

TEPCO spokesman Masayuki Ono said the leaked water seeped into the ground after largely escaping piles of sandbags added to a concrete barrier around the tank. Workers were pumping out the puddle and the remaining water in the tank and will transfer it to other containers.

The water's radiation level, measured about 50 centimeters (2 feet) above the puddle, is about 100 millisieverts per hour — five times the annual exposure limit for plant workers, Ono said.

The plant suffered multiple meltdowns following Japan's massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011. Hundreds of tanks were built around the plant to store massive amounts of contaminated water coming from the three melted reactors, as well as underground water running into reactor and turbine basements.

Four other tanks of the same design had similar leaks since last year. Ono said the latest leak was the worst from a tank in terms of volume.

TEPCO says the tanks that have leaked used rubber seams and were intended to last about five years. Ono said TEPCO plans to build additional tanks with welded seams that are more watertight.

The massive amount of radioactive water is among the most pressing issues affecting the cleanup process, which is expected to take decades. There have been other leaks of contaminated water at the plant, and some of it is entering the sea. Plant workers are trying to reduce the leaks using measures such as building chemical underground walls, but they have made little improvement.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-20 21:13:40 |Display all floors
broken_heart Post time: 2013-8-20 18:25
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear power plant said Tuesday that about 3 ...

and in plain English?

the risk? the cost?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-21 06:08:29 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-8-20 21:13
and in plain English?

the risk? the cost?

and in plain English?
What goes up comes down is best proven by radioactivity up it goes in a cloud and down it comes creating a radioactive "hot spot". the risk? the cost? very high and high what is on your mind?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-21 09:45:57 |Display all floors
broken_heart Post time: 2013-8-21 06:08
and in plain English?
What goes up comes down is best proven by radioactivity up it goes in a clou ...

what is in my mind. The risk, the cost not as high as wild imaginations.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-21 18:33:13 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-8-21 09:45
what is in my mind. The risk, the cost not as high as wild imaginations.

It took 10(ten)years to kool down the reactor at Three Mile Island and cost was less the rebuilding to clean it up but that's just cost not the potential for nuclear contamination let me stress all disasters are not alike the residence around the reactor are still waiting till the fuel rods are removed for at least 1(one)decade.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.