Author: messi30

Does the respect should be regulated by people´s age? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-6 19:43:41 |Display all floors
I agree show respect to elders, but respect is a two way street and is for everyone.  Respect does not mean to blindly follow their advice (or orders)
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-6 21:43:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by messi30 at 2013-8-6 21:53
linlinlinlin Post time: 2013-8-6 14:35
The world is not black or white. What if you are wrong when you think you are absolutely right?

The world is not black or white. What if you are wrong when you think you are absolutely right?

There are some facts that it never are wrong.

In most occasions, it doesn't matter who is wrong or right. Live your own life and do not confront with your parents. They are older and older, not strong any more, which make them sensitive, don't let them down.

It matters unless like in your case (I think) you don´t really want to argue, discuss and prefer to keep silent.

Discussing it doesn´t mean confrontation. I think everything is valid if is made it with respect.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-6 21:52:09 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-8-6 14:40
If it's just a conversation between two persons, it's ok for the young to disagree with the elder  ...
If it's just a conversation between two persons, it's ok for the young to disagree with the elder or point out the mistake.
Agree

But if there are many people at present, it's not appropriate for the young to accuse some elder people being wrong, because it may make them lose face and feel embarrassed.
So the youngsters should sacrifice themselves to lose face and feel embarrassed even they are not wrong?

The young can however tell the elder that he was wrong afterwards.
I agree a bit with this part, Its a polite way to keep the relationship in peaceful way but sometimes things should be solved in the right moment and the right moment is when it happen the problem

For example, I was raised not to talk  back with senior people.
Me too but also I was raised to respect people and to make people respect me, no matter age or gender.

It´s a fair play.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-6 22:09:31 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-8-6 15:43
I understand the traditional culture in China.

In my homeland "traditional way" is similar, but not ...

Honestly I don´t have intentions to change some traditions here but we can make some improvements.

My main point is the respect among people should be above some traditions, why? because some still exists some silly traditions.

Some elder have the wrong idea not only to think they are right, they also think they have the right to ashame people in front of others (as I described my wife´s story as example).

When i was in this situations (rarely) with an elder people I talked back but with good mood and with good manners, saying ¨maybe you are right but in this ocassion.......¨, its a way not to make them feel really bad.

And as you said, TOLERANCE, is the perfect word in this cases.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-6 22:10:44 |Display all floors
RonJaDa Post time: 2013-8-6 19:43
I agree show respect to elders, but respect is a two way street and is for everyone.  Respect does n ...

Agree.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-7 10:55:32 |Display all floors
Not all elder people are as stubburn as a mule.
Most of times, they will accept your points and keep their old minds updated.
If your explanations don't work, just leave them.
That's what I do,.
I have my way of thinking. Never follow orders.
But I do value my parents' advice.
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-8 10:31:53 |Display all floors
No. I agree with you.
Age doesn't earn people respects.
Knowledge does

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.