Views: 28775|Replies: 51

Driving tips in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-7-31 10:44:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-7-31 12:23

We all know, that the traffic in China is a little different than in the other parts of the world.
It is still improving, but there are some "specialites de la masion"...

What are Your driving tips?

I have few from my own experience - for the 2-wheelers:

- bigger vechicles have more rights because are bigger (and "don't see the smaller ones")

- noisy vechicle may mean:
a) that the driver wants to do any maneuver, especially passing the other vechicle or pedestrian, overtaking, crossing the road...
b) short signal means the driver who knows what he is doing, but wants to have priority, or just signals the important maneuver
c) long signal means the driver who wants to have priority no matter of the other vechicles
d) long and frequent signals means that the driver is an a....hole without the driving skills, is drunk, furious, or all the factors previously listed and some additional too

- driving on the sidewalks/shoulder/bicycle lane
a) driving in the same direction that the road lane - keep close to the road to pass the exhibit "b" or the other obstacles
b) driving in the oposite direction - keep out from the trafic lane
c) take special care when closing to bends - sometimes just after the bend may be the vehicle that uses all the width of the shoulder/sidewalk/bicycle lane

- be prepared, that some vechicles don't use the lights, while other use "all the factory gave and some additional too" (that means You will see nothing but the lights, and if You don't take special care it will be the last thing You see). Good example are the lorries using the very bright reversing lights (at the sides of the lorry), anti-fog lights and the long lights - all in the middle of the city ... to be "visible"

- mirrors on the 2-wheelers are to hang some items on it - for example the raincoat, but very few people use it to check the traffic around

- old people on the bicycle may use all the width of the road and do the very unexpected maneuvers
a) looking around by turning the bike
b) "sneaking" because of pedalling
c) doing sharp turns across the driving lane/road

- people driving with the back straight and nose up are dangerous because
a) they drive while having the eyesight problems
b) they feel superior

- people on the scooters riding with the leggs straight (almost touching the road surface) are dangerous because
a) they don't have breaks
b) they don't have driving skills
c) they are affraid of driving

- if You see the bicycle/bike riding very slowly - be aware that it may be
a) whole familly riding
b) old person, or the person without the driving skill
c) drunk person
...of course it can be just the electric scooter "out of juice"

- when You overtake
a) if the road is wide - just overtake
b) if the road is narrow - give the short sound signal before, unless the overtaked driver is an old person (who may for example turn around together with the bicycle to identify the sound)
c) expect unexpected

- on the traffic lights
a) some of the 2-wheelers don't respect the traffic lights "because it is for cars of course"
b) some just slow down and use the sidewalk
c) don't be surprised by the bicycle going straight across the middle of the intersection, in the opposite direction, on the red light "because this way is shorter"

- some vehicles rides in the opposite direction because it is the shortcut  ("who would go to the next crossroad only to turn back?!")

Hm. That's what I can say at this moment, maybe later I'll add more, but I'm especially waiting for the car drivers tips.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-31 13:30:27 |Display all floors
Ok, people full their mouths praising the China progress but there  are a lot of  internal things to reinforce and the traffic laws needs urgent improvement.

In many countries, most or all street corners, there is a stop sign, it will lead the driver to stop and let the other cars from the other street to pass first, that´s simple but what there is in each corner is cameras, nothing wrong with the cams but is the security of the people ( on ground) who should count first.

In most highways around the world exists crazy drivers but OMG traveling in local highways I had the worse driving  experience, the cars cross your way in high speed with few centimeters of distance from my front bumper, forcing you to reduce your speed to avoid a fatality, damn drivers.

Interesting thread and the list of safety tips could be very long but what China really needs is not only new traffic laws, what it needs to educate the drivers. People can´t be too selfish when driving. There are many dumb accidents  everyday and nobody do something to stop it.

I avoid to drive and when i do it, i do at nights or off peak hours.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-7-31 14:25:05 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-31 13:30
Ok, people full their mouths praising the China progress but there  are a lot of  internal things to ...

at nights... You are the brave one, or have the strong filters in-build in the glasses :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-31 15:45:09 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-31 13:30
Ok, people full their mouths praising the China progress but there  are a lot of  internal things to ...

It is difficult to educate people where safety is an afterthought and have a "me first attitude".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-31 15:54:44 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-7-31 14:25
at nights... You are the brave one, or have the strong filters in-build in the glasses :)

Well, only for short distances, like supermarket or shopping mall, I am not brave enought to drive at daytime.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-31 15:57:13 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2013-7-31 15:45
It is difficult to educate people where safety is an afterthought and have a "me first attitude".

That´s one of the most difficult challenges for the government but if they implant more safety signs same as the street cams, it could help a lot.
The point is if they are willing to do it.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-31 16:00:18 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2013-7-31 15:57
That´s one of the most difficult challenges for the government but if they implant more safety si ...

I really do not think adding more signs will help.  They will just be ignored.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.