Views: 2040|Replies: 1

US soldier resigns, says was ‘misled’ [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-18 06:24:20 |Display all floors
A U.S. soldier who participated in the Iraq war has written a resignation letter lashing out at the U.S. war policy.

Brandon M. Toy wrote in a letter published by Common Dreams on Tuesday that he was “misled” by the U.S. military when he joined it a decade ago.

“At the time of my enlistment, I believed in the cause. I was ignorant, naïve, and misled,” he wrote.

“The narrative, professed by the state, and echoed by the mainstream press, has proven false and criminal. We have become what I thought we were fighting against.”

Toy served the post-911 Military Industrial complex for 10 years, first as a soldier in Baghdad, Iraq, and later as a defense contractor, according to the letter.

He wrote that recent revelations of war crimes by the U.S. military “including counterinsurgency ‘dirty’ wars, drone terrorism, the suspension of due process, torture, mass surveillance, and widespread regulatory capture have shed light on the true nature of the current U.S. government.”

He called on fellow American soldiers not to sit watching “injustices” in the globe if they really want change to happen.  

“As long as we sit in comfort, turning a blind eye to the injustices of the world, nothing will change,” he said.

“I was only a foot soldier, and am now a low level clerk. However, I have always believed that if every foot soldier threw down his rifle war would end. I hereby throw mine down.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 06:25:21 |Display all floors
Ali
Jul 17, 2013

The idea that the Americans soldiers that attacked and occupied Iraq could not see the truth the instant that they set foot in Iraq is ridiculous. Even not considering the politics of the Iraq war, how could a soldier not see immediately that what he is doing is criminal from start to finish? Killing innocent civilians, degrading and insulting the indigenous population at each and every moment of occupation, torturing, destroying the infrastructure on a continuous basis, ... . All that has been as clear as daylight from day one. The simple answer is that the Americans were not true soldiers but hired killers. The long answer is the painful and tragic events of Iraq which is continuing to this day as a result of the colonialist and imperialist policies of the "coalition of killing".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.