Author: gaiacomm

Negros are still hated in America...and in Florida!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-18 01:02:13 |Display all floors
gaiacomm Post time: 2013-7-17 22:48
Because I can, as  you can. Its only a word. Don't be afraid to use it if you choose.

Its a word that african-americans have said they find offensive and do not wish to be called that.

You can't look at it as 'just a word'.  Maybe just a word to you, but to them, it means far more.

Out of respect, we don't use that word.  You should not either.  The correct term is african-american.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 01:05:56 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-7-17 09:02
Its a word that african-americans have said they find offensive and do not wish to be called that. ...

and another korrect term is asian not oriental (oh well and some call me...never mind)  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 01:33:34 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2013-7-18 01:05
and another korrect term is asian not oriental (oh well and some call me...never mind)

Correct.  I don't hear people use that term much these days.   I did when I was a kid.

But that is the point.  Doesn't matter if I don't understand why it is offensive - I just need to know its offensive.  Out of respect, you call people what they want you to call them - no troubles this way.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 01:40:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by gaiacomm at 2013-7-18 01:44
JFenix Post time: 2013-7-18 01:02
Its a word that african-americans have said they find offensive and do not wish to be called that. ...

JFenix, I understand. But I have my choice as do you. I chose to continue being myself, not afraid of consequence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 01:46:36 |Display all floors
gaiacomm Post time: 2013-7-18 01:40
JFenix, I understand. But I have my choice as do you. I chose to continue being myself, not afraid  ...

Than you are choosing to be offensive.

How can you post a thread about racism and then say you don't care if you sound racist?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 01:50:56 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-7-17 09:33
Correct.  I don't hear people use that term much these days.   I did when I was a kid.

But that i ...

most of us associate oriental with foods or hi-end carpetin but not to address people with it  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-18 03:05:26 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-7-18 01:46
Than you are choosing to be offensive.

How can you post a thread about racism and then say you do ...

Using the word NEGRO is a word, offensive or not, its still just a word. I "sound" racist to you, and probably  to others because that is the way it is. Understand what a racist is, and look at yourself, and see who you draw opinion to when faced with someone who is colored a color...a skin type.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.