Views: 9601|Replies: 16

Your colleague was promoted, How do you react? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-13 14:32:15 |Display all floors

In a workplace once in a while somebody is promoted for different reasons. For own merits. to fill a position vacant, for recommendation, personal favors, etc.

Last night having diner with my wife and her sister in law, we were talking about work, the sister in law has been promoted 2 months ago and i asked her how is the relationship with her colleagues after she was promoted. She said ¨so so, most of them colaborate with me but there are few don´t, they feel jealous¨. My wife started to talk about her story ¨when I was manager in a factory, at the begining nobody listened to me, I wasn´t promoted, i applied for that position and I got it but time after i knew that other guys were applying for my position and I really had a hard time with them, I don´t know the bad treatment was for my gender or for frustration on them because i got ¨their¨position . Time after another guy in the factory was promoted and i noticed some people started to look down on him with no reasons¨.

I also shared my story at the dinner.  Many years ago in one of my first jobs working as a salesman, after 2 months I was promoted to be the assistant manager, i was so happy and almost all of my colleagues congratulated me, except 2 guys, for me was ok but when i took the position and at time to give some orders (with good manners) damn it, things were different with these 2 guys, all the times busy, no time for orders, orders a gave to them, they did it in bad mood or with mistakes, after a serious conversation with them, they improved their work. Couple years after I became the manager and everybody were on my side.

Sometimes you think you know your colleagues and have good work enviroment but when something happen like a promotion, things can change for good or for bad.

How do you react with a promoted colleague?
Are you able to colaborate with him/her?
Are you able to congratulate and to cheer your colleague´s promotion?

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 11:07:57 |Display all floors
I don't know how can you use her sister in law instead of your sister!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 11:14:26 |Display all floors
When my colleagues get a promotion, I think they must have something that I haven't, so this is the reason our boss pick him not me. In that case, I must try to find which aspects I'm lack of and try to improve it. That things let me became better than better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 15:29:45 |Display all floors
up to how the one get promoted. I think it's ok if he has better abilities than me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 15:52:05 |Display all floors
In my opinion, some one gets promotion should have below items:
1. professionnal ability;
2.good relatives;
3. say good words to boss
but in my company, people who want to promotion must have below ability priorion:
1.Good drink, if you can drink 1 bottle of white wine,you are promoted preferably;
2.Say good words to boss;
3. Stay long in the comapny.
If you have above the abilities, you can get promotion easily when vacancy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 16:50:23 |Display all floors
ross-chang Post time: 2013-7-15 11:07
I don't know how can you use her sister in law instead of your sister!

Because she's not the OPs sister, she's the OPs wifes brothers spouse.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-15 16:54:49 |Display all floors
EricTian Post time: 2013-7-15 15:52
In my opinion, some one gets promotion should have below items:
1. professionnal ability;
2.good rel ...

That is called "brown nosing" in the West.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.