Author: nealrussel

South Korean anchor says it's 'lucky' that only Chinese died in crash   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-9 23:12:02 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-7-9 12:46
During the Sino-Japanese war the Japanese enrolled Korean to act as "Chengguan" in Northern China  ...

LOL I'm sure the Koreans must also have some pretty special terms of endearment reserved exclusively for the Chinese

But on another note, it's utterly inappropriate for the Korean anchor to make such unprofessional and inhumane commentary on the loss of young lives. Turning an tragic incident that everyone should grieve over into a brainless display of blind nationalism is just deplorable and criminal. However, since this guy has officially released a statement apologizing for his folly, I don't think the Chinese are a mean bunch to hold grudge against him over the matter.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-9 23:19:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by gavingy at 2013-7-9 23:20

Koreans always have an ultranationalistic outlook on other races or ethnicities, and it can get pretty nasty at times. I remember back in the days the Korean kids at my school always had their own little clique exclusive to themselves. And they would literally gang up on someone who picked on one of their own, as they took it as an insult to the entire Korean nation. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing (I understand in other places on teh planet they are a minority), but this mentality can unduly boost the individual's ego to the extent they think it's perfectly right to scoff at others without any hesitation.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-7-10 01:48:05 |Display all floors
gavingy Post time: 2013-7-9 23:12
LOL I'm sure the Koreans must also have some pretty special terms of endearment reserved exclusive ...

Agreed the comment made was utterly stupid but, in his defense, I think it was made in the spur of the moment (this was during a live coverage of the accident) and considering that the reports indicated 2 Asian casualties the whole nation was relieved (for lack of a better word) to hear no Korean died on the crash. I may be naive but I think the anchor would have said the same thing should the 2 people be Japanese or Vietnamese.

You say "I don't think the Chinese are a mean bunch to hold grudge against him over the matter", I say go on weibo and read the comments. Not only do they refuse to accept the apology, they hold it against him and the whole Korean nation...
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-7-10 05:46:23 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-7-9 09:53
I know what should be a punishment for them, worst then the prison...

lifetime ban for a cosmetic s ...

you think this is funny..there's two dead 16 year old girls......you should be banned for making a post like this
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-7-10 05:46:44 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-7-9 09:53
I know what should be a punishment for them, worst then the prison...

lifetime ban for a cosmetic s ...

you think this is funny..there's two dead 16 year old girls......you should be banned for making a post like this.....
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 08:05:03 |Display all floors
Sky_Walker Post time: 2013-7-9 12:04
Be ashamed of them

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-10 10:05:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by gavingy at 2013-7-10 10:06
snappysammy Post time: 2013-7-10 05:46
you think this is funny..there's two dead 16 year old girls......you should be banned for making a ...

It's actually a really big deal in Korea if someone is interdicted from having plastic surgery for life. Truth is this could effectively end a person's career since job opportunities and career advancement are dependent upon how good looking he/she is. They put A LOT of emphasis on personal appearance, thus all the media hype about commercializing plastic surgery in 1990s. Being "unattractive" is worse than death.
The North Remembers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.