Author: sansukong

Debate: Should Britain QUIT The European Union?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-11 03:55:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Motika at 2013-7-10 20:55

I do not mind if they leave ! I will wave a flag on the beaches of France on the exodus day !
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 05:39:12 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-7-11 02:47
The CAP was in place before Britain joined..... The British consumer would have benefited greatly  ...

France had reservations about UK joining the EU on the suspicion that the UK would be more pro-USA than pro-Europe but UK finally became a member in 1970. CAP dates back to 1962, it is one of the very first policy that EU formulated and legislated.

Now back to Scotland, it has its own parliament and legislates in its own right, also the Bank of Scotland prints pound notes. Begs the question, at what point should we think of Scotland as "independent", both de jure and de facto?

What does "independence" mean for Scotland in this case ( it has already got its own legislature and prints Scottish pound sterling as its own currency )?  

Would QE2 still be the monach and head of state for Scotland?

Perhaps a bit off topic, but interesting...
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 06:54:44 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2013-7-11 05:39
France had reservations about UK joining the EU on the suspicion that the UK would be more pro-USA ...

General De Gaulle had reservations regarding British membership, he had visions of an independent Europe.

But please do not misunderstand me... I do not for a minute believe that Ted Heath, who took us into Europe, sought anything other but the best for Britain. He was genuinely pro-Europe.

As for Scotland..... devolution was offered to quell any signs of unrest among the Scottish, but it seems to no avail.

If indeed the referendum goes in favour of Scottish independence, then I believe that Scotland will have little option but to adopt the Euro as its currency. Not an altogether satisfactory solution, I know.

I cannot envisage much change to the current institutions and dare say that Scotland will maintain an air of Britishness regardless of status. As to whether the Monarch  will be maintained as head of state, will depend on the existence or absence of acrimony at the time of separation.

IMHO one of the main selling points of Scottish independence is the adoption of its own foreign, strategic and economic policies, all of which are now tied closely to those of the UK.

Would Scotland have a standing army..... be a member of NATO? It remains to be seen.....

But let us not jump the gun..... the outcome of the referendum is not a foregone conclusion.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 07:30:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2013-7-11 07:31

...But let us not jump the gun..... the outcome of the referendum is not a foregone conclusion...

Punt!
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 07:56:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Disclaimer: Thoughtful responses will be enjoyed & in some cases, elicit a
response. All others from trolls,
conspiracy nuts and the willfully ignorant will be ignored. Thank you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 09:23:53 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2013-7-11 07:30
Punt!

The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-11 13:33:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-7-10 07:10
Is China NOT a "police state"? It certainly has set up police states over its colonies. So why sho ...
Is China NOT a "police state"?

Oh really? Then, why are you doing in a police state, if you dislike China so much and been given so much "protection" in this BBS? What is your real agenda for staying in China?

Translate .....

哦,真的吗?
那么,为什么你在做在一个警察国家如果你不喜欢中国这么多并已获得这么多的 “保护”在这个论坛?

什么是你真正的议程,你留在中国吗?

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.