Views: 3921|Replies: 30

Impoverished Britain - UK [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-7-4 16:45:19 |Display all floors
Impoverished Britain - UK

Uploaded on 25 Feb 2011

'Newtown' just outside Birmingham is looking dirty, rundown and old. 50 % of its citizens are unemployed, living in grey towerblocks overlooking the urban devastation. The flats are poorly equipped with basic furnishings. All people can do is watch television. As the rich people get richer, the poor get poorer. Chris Pond from the Lay Pay Unit blames poverty and hardship on the Conservative Government's free market economy and their opt out from the social chapter. A tramp slumped on a bench with dirty blanket at his feet is a potent symbol of the such social deprivation. Loretta Matthews is surviving on £121 a week as a single parent with four children. Sometimes she cannot pay for her electricity and she has to sit in the dark. Or she sorts out her problems by drinking a bottle of brandy. In Newtown itself, iron shutters and boarded up windows have rePlaced the shops. No one has any money to spend. Irene, aged 40, is too afraid to walk on streets in case she gets mugged. Chris Pond feels ashamed to be British and grimaces at the thought that low wages in Britain might undermine the rest of Europe in its attempts to achieve some kind of solidarity.

Journeyman Pictures

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 19:29:15 |Display all floors
We have a member called Newtown here. I was wondering why he wasn't called Newton.
Bravos

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-4 19:55:57 |Display all floors
Did you miss this?
'I don't know how we got so lucky!' Somali family on benefits handed keys to £2million luxury 'council' home a stone's throw from where Tony Blair used to live

Builders did £100,000 renovations in 2011, creating two new bedrooms
    Private rent could cost £8,000 a week - but welfare family pay £1,000 a month
    Neighbours' fury over recent deliveries of new carpets and televisions
    Claims many of the occupants drive 'nice cars' and even use private hire chauffeur service

Article

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-5 16:02:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sansukong at 2013-7-5 15:42

A Nail In the Coffin: a short film about fuel poverty

Published on 29 Nov 2012

On Thursday 29th November, Fuel Poverty Action, Disabled People Against the Cuts and the Greater London Pensioners' Association targeted the Treasury to highlight their responsibility in fuel poverty deaths. Watch this film to find out what happened and to hear from those worst affected on how the cuts, soaring energy bills and cold homes are impacting on their lives.

Find out more at www.fuelpovertyaction.org.uk and follow @FuelPovAction on Twitter.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-5 20:38:10 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2013-7-5 16:02
A Nail In the Coffin: a short film about fuel poverty

Published on 29 Nov 2012

I assume you do not have first hand knowledge of life in the UK, unlike the millions of immigrants already living there and the millions waiting to arrive. However, I agree it must be a terrible place. Who needs free housing, free medical care, free education, being paid to have children and being paid not to work? Why not share with us where you live?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-5 20:49:17 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-7-4 20:55
Did you miss this?
'I don't know how we got so lucky!' Somali family on benefits handed keys to £2m ...

four-story house ? Perhaps you people count the cellar as well...
to me it looks like an old factory building during ex Soviet era, with new windows sticking out like a big sore...

"It is unclear when the Somali  family, who have been living in the house for about a year, came to  the UK and whether they arrived as asylum seekers. The precise breakdown of the benefits they receive is not known".

nothing is clear nor known, but a huge story...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-5 21:02:18 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2013-7-5 20:49
four-story house ? Perhaps you people count the cellar as well...
to me it looks like an old facto ...

This is only one of many similar cases. Local authorities are legally bound to find homes for homeless people who often pay nothing for it. The more kids they have the more  successful they are and bigger house they get.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.