Chinese Navy warships visit Hong Kong. (Reuters) [Copy link] 中文

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-5-5 21:53:32 |Display all floors

i dont agree with the chinese are ignorant on the power of the US military

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-5 22:51:30 |Display all floors

I don't either.

Bchung, I never said I thought Chinese were ignorant of any of this.  But believe me, seeing a carrier up close is an experience that no web-surfing or Hollywood action film can replicate.  Not just the military aspect of the exercise makes an impression, but rather the type of money, technology and manpower it takes to get one of these boats from the drawing board to the water to a foreign port.  I don't know if they do this for foreigners, but many Americans get to visit carriers and watch flight operations.  Actually, I'm pretty sure Chinese military attaches get to do this too, as they are often visiting the Pentagon.  That's when you'll see that all the money and fancy equipment in the world cannot replace pilot training, which is something very few countries invest much in.  I'll be touring the USS Harry S. Truman later this summer and I cannot wait.  Until now I've only seen a carrier from a distance in port in southern Virginia and have been to plenty of air shows.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, a lot of wars have begun when one side miscalculated the other side's capabilities and will.  Seeing a carrier battle group up close leaves no illusions.  And remembering that we have at least ten of them and what it takes to build a fleet like that...even more so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-7 18:34:15 |Display all floors

It was local news

Perhaps the reason that Reuters reported it is that they are still suffering under the misconception that it is a big deal for HK - in a negative way.

Remember, there are those in HK - like M. Li - nobodies that want to be somebodies, that run to the States and Britian with their tail between their legs and their ears pulled down crying about how bad China is and they wont let little Marty play and they're just bad and on and on ad infinitum.

Looking to captialize on the issue - and perhaps they had a slow news day - they took the presence of the China navy (which, by the way, according to HK news received many HK visitors and when interviewed - again on HK TV - said how proud they were that China had such a navy and who lined the harbor taking pictures etc.) - as perhaps being the precursor to the dreaded event imagined by M. Li in 1997 when he went to Canada and said that "On July 2, China tanks will roll into HK and blood will flow in the streets."

Either that, or the fact that Reuters also publishes local information for their readers that are perhaps in another country and like to hear about what's going on at home.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-7 21:23:43 |Display all floors

news

I read in the NYT the other day a little more about this event.  Seems there was more than just a destroyer there.  There were at least two and then a submarine or two and they took a route normally not taken by naval ships.  The NYT (not that I believe anything they write anyway) said this was meant as a show of force to HK residents and to remind them who really calls the shots.  So maybe it was news afterall.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-7 21:30:26 |Display all floors

news

I agree with you

Use magic tools Report

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-5-7 21:41:26 |Display all floors

well thx for clearing it up

Use magic tools Report

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-5-7 21:41:26 |Display all floors

well thx for clearing it up

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.