Views: 11915|Replies: 8

RonJaDa- Ron in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-5 22:32:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RonJaDa at 2013-6-7 21:02

June 7 - I made a correction      福建

Self-introduction:

The best way to get to know me is to look through my blogs and comments, and get an objective view.
I say I am semi-retired because I have plans on returning to work once I am settle back in Canada or another country that I can legally work in.  I love the outdoors; travel and communicating with positive people that want to share their thoughts, dreams and experiences to enrich each other’s lives.  Favourite pastime is kayaking on a small river or quiet lake.  The best day of my life was Nov 2, 2007, the day I kayaked down the Colorado River with a female tour guide and a young married couple.  During the eight hours out in nature, we visited a steam cave, hot spring with four pools, each getting hotter closer to the source and had a picnic lunch as well as kayaking in 72 F or 23 C weather.

My first time in China was in Jan 2010, when I flew to Beijing for 2 weeks, returning Aug 2011 after which I have spent 15 out of the last 20 months in China.  My goal is to be able to speak basic Chinese before I leave.  I realize the only way to learn is to apply myself as I have lots of tools and encouragement.

In the 38 years that I worked in Canada's I formation Technology   and Banking Industries I worked 11 years as a Project Manager,  22 years as a programmer  analyst / developer (now called software engineers) and  5 years in various roles in data processing and stock management.  I had three focuses do my best and work hard  (50 to 60 hours a week) to earn my pay and keep my job, continuous improvement through study and training whenever available to increase my skills and earning power, and last but not least earn the respect and friendship of my peers through trust and sharing knowledge.

Nationality: Canadian

Education: Some College & University. Extensive on the job education  

Casual photo

DSC_0266 (640x426).jpg

Friends interested in making: Ask personally if You want to know more.

Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 10:54:00 |Display all floors
I am curious about what make you come to China, {:soso_e113:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-6 21:10:12 |Display all floors
linlinlinlin Post time: 2013-6-6 10:54
I am curious about what make you come to China,

Well there are a number of things

The lure of China before my Jan 2010 Visit to Beijing
1)        Obviously the lure of the History and Culture of Beijing.
2)        Friends and their relatives from Beijing and other parts of China. Some of my peers and friends, including my personal trainer at YMCA came from China to Toronto.  My friendship with them encouraged my interest.
3)        I wanted a challenge to keep my mind active and growing.  I decided to learn Chinese (Mandarin.) I made some friends on the internet, mostly through the Language Exchange website SharedTalk.
4)        My love of Chinese food and ordering dishes to share with a group. I had worked with Chinese people for at least 25 years and we would dine in Chinese restaurants from 1 to 8 times a week.

Why I came back in Aug 2011
1)        I took early retirement as I wanted a change of pace
2)        My Career vitality assessment said in addition to the career I was in I would make a good teacher, tutor, councillor or advisor
3)        Several people suggested (some of them in Beijing) that I become an English teacher in China
4)        I investigated and found out that if I earned my TESOL certificate I could teach.  My research informed me that I would not be able to teach in Beijing or Shanghai but I could legally teach in other cities or provinces.
5)        I enrolled in a TESOL course in China and came and earned my TESOL Certificate, but found out that the change in the law applied everywhere.  I could not get a work permit because I do not have a university degree (even though my jobs in the previous 15 years required a degree or equivalent plus 5 years of experience.

Why did I stay and keep coming back
1)        I had made several friends
2)        I could afford to make the trips to China with some Travel and live comfortably on the money I budgeted from my retirement savings.
3)        I Enjoy life here and work hard on learning as much Chinese as I can

Why will I likely return to Canada at the end of 2013 early 2014
1)        I am Canadian and have lots of friends and relatives there
2)        I want to get a job (even if part time) to supplement my retirement income so I can travel more.
3)        It will be time, as I cannot get a work permit here.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-6-7 16:08:16 |Display all floors
You can't teah even you got a TESOL Certificate?
How come?
Have you tried to apply for a teaching job in a college or University?
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 16:20:30 |Display all floors
haha, the translation for your location Fujian turned to " attachment"  meaning in Chinese.
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 20:50:34 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2013-6-7 16:08
You can't teah even you got a TESOL Certificate?
How come?
Have you tried to apply for a teaching  ...

China and a lot of other countries require foreigners to have a University degree plus related experience, in order to obtain a work permit.  Working without a permit happens, but it is not for me. If a foreigner is caught working without a permit, the penalty could be just cancelling whatever visa the person has and giving them one week to leave the country. If this happens it could affect that person’s ability to re-enter China and other countries.

Since I do not need the money, as I have retirement income, I choose to enjoy part of my early retirement or a sabbatical in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-7 21:04:40 |Display all floors
shengshi Post time: 2013-6-7 16:20
haha, the translation for your location Fujian turned to " attachment"  meaning in Chinese.

Thank You for pointing out my error.  Learning in progress.  (I really should be more careful)  I hope it is correct now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.