Views: 4136|Replies: 2

Surname extinction [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-5 03:38:30 |Display all floors
With the Only Child policy in China, I wonder if anyone has tracked the extinction or potential extinction of any surnames.

Imagine if you will a Han family with only one child, a daughter. If that family happens to be the last one with a particular surname, the surname will become extinct when the father passes away.

Has anyone investigated the possibility of surname (and thus, family line) extinction? Are there any provisions in place to prevent it? What would be the impact to Chinese society if, for example, there came a time when there were no more people surnamed Sun (Sun Zhongshan - Sun Yat-Sen) and thus no legacy for the Sun family?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 10:36:05 |Display all floors
Surnames come and go , it's law of nature {:soso_e122:}
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 20:42:20 |Display all floors
Rearwindow Post time: 2013-6-4 21:36
Surnames come and go , it's law of nature

I know it is, but I still find the concept curious, especially since I am aware of many people here in the USA to whom it is a big deal. My father-in-law was nervous for quite some time because his only brother died in WW2, and while my father-in-law has three sons as well as two daughters, until very recently only the daughters had any children. Even though he had five grandchildren, including four grandsons, (three of them my sons), there was no-one carrying on his family name. Finally, one of his sons had a son, so now there's one grandson with his family name (and that was their second child, and for a while it looked like the daughter would be the only child from that family).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.