Author: messi30

[Original]How many dishes on the table is good for a Chinese diner? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-30 16:59:53 |Display all floors
my wife say: number of guests +1
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-2 22:14:14 |Display all floors
lyeen Post time: 2013-5-29 15:56
In China,if the meal is abundant,then the guests will feel good,beause he/she is been regarded as VI ...

That´s what I have noticed it. Thank you.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-2 22:37:58 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-5-29 17:07
"In Latin culture these things as I know never happens. "

in "slavian culture" hosts always want to ...
"In Latin culture these things as I know never happens. "

That statement above was regarding the waste and leftovers, they avoid to happen or they are more careful.

in "slavian culture" hosts always want to be generous, and it also causes some waste (for example side-dishes, salads, snacks, all served "not on the plate")

Latino culture, (same as italian and greek) are characterized by their affection towards family and people in general and if we talk about generosity and hospitability we are excellent (I don´t mean we are the best) also there is not nationality when is about the care for the guests. The waste always exists but occasionally. We don´t want to impress guests for the quantity of food but for the quality. When we have special diner, we know the amount to cook for the quantity of guests.

The service consists in entrée or appetizer, salad, soft drinks, soup, the main dish and desert. Main dish can be accompanied by wine, all is served one after one, not all together on a table, same situation is in a restaurant. If the guest thinks the amount of food served is too much gently will request to reduce the amount before to eat.
So the leftover will exists but not the waste, that´s the difference.

but when it is at home - You can always find some use for leftovers ;) while at the restaurant... it is bigger problem
Athome a salad and the main dish is enough, if the time allows a soup is alsoserved.

I observe a way to solve this problem in China.
When there are a lot of leftovers - sometimes after formally saying "goodbye" to  the guest, host asks restaurant to put it into boxes for take-away.
It is "half-way" sollution but it seems to work. Guest have "more than can eat" and there is "no need to serve rice", and most of the food is not wasted, because it is eaten at home.

Could be agood idea to solve that problem but sadly in China in most cases is not a goodsign to gain respect.

What Iobserve In Latino culture and in the US is common, sometimes people is easilyto get full and the request for ¨da bao¨ is a must in certain cases and withoutany shame.

I heard that "basic rule" is to have one "meat dish" counted for every person at the meeting, vegetables at will, and fruit at the end, rice is "last line of defence" :) and for not so "exclusive" meetings. Because "do You want a rice?" means: "are You full? if not - there are no more dishes, so rice is only way"

I think I´malways out of that rule, I request the rice bowl to start eating the foodserved on the table, my Chinese wife, her relatives, suppliers or friendssometimes make fun of me for that ´silly¨ way to eat but I don´t care, I reallyenjoy the food with rice.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-2 23:00:54 |Display all floors
米洛.DeSTi Post time: 2013-5-29 17:24
take-away method does not work all the time ,in China, most of people think it's shameful to pack  ...

take-away method does not work all the time ,in China, most of people think it's shameful to pack leftover food when finish the meal ,and for the occasion serving guests at home ,

I agreed with your statement.

What I HAVE SEEN IN CHINA, most people don´t pack their food, there are few exceptions but most people feel ashamed to take away the leftovers. If is in a group of people in biz diner, almost never happens, if it´s in a group of friends rarely happens, nobody wants to be pointed as is in need. What I notice few times it happens in young people, college students, factory workers, farmers, etc.

One day I was having diner with my wife in a Chinese restaurant and a table beside us was a family eating very well, their table was full of plates but at the end I notice from 6 dishes, 2 of them there were half of food, it was deserve to be packed, they paid the bill and I feel the woman was watching us, I feel her staring on us, she was thinking to take it with her, I though she gonna said ¨da bao¨ but she didn´t, they just left and my wife told me ¨I told you¨.

chinese used to cook many dishs to show their enthusiasm and generosity .if you want to explain to them what iis the waste to serve over-need food , they won't listen , coz this is China , and that's their tradition.

That´s nice and I really appreciate that but there is a difference between generosity with showing off. Many people do it with a honest generosity but other people, especially in biz diners, they just do it to give good impression.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-2 23:18:16 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-5-30 12:28
I heard same amount of dishes as the total number of eaters + 1. So for a table of 8 people ther ...

I heard same amount of dishes as the total number of eaters + 1. So for a table of 8 people there should be 9 dishes.

That's usually what I do and people are usually satisfied.

That´s a good tip, i will considerate but i will be moderated too. Thank you

As for the leftovers, it's ok when you're going to restaurant with friends or family but it's still a big nono when you're organizing a big important dinner like a wedding or... a business dinner.
Exactly
For me is ok with friends or  family even my wife tried to stop me one time.
For biz diner, you are right, still is a big NO NO in most cases.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-2 23:19:56 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2013-5-30 16:59
my wife say: number of guests +1

Thank you

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-5 08:59:07 |Display all floors
In some good Festival ,Such as Spring Festival ,my mother or mother-in-law like to cooking 10 dishes ,that means all that would be hoped as  wonderful healthy and happy. the number of dishes should be three or two if general day.You know Chinese like the number 2 which means double good ,some one like the number 3 which means I love you ,and number 6 means smooth going and successfully.most of  people like the number 8 which means making more money.
any more,i dont care all those,i would  like to be the real myself and to do what i like   
wherever you are and whatever you do ,keep learning forever

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.