Views: 9513|Replies: 20

[Original]How many dishes on the table is good for a Chinese diner? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-28 16:35:39 |Display all floors

Lately I got the visit from some wife´s relatives in different days.

I saw my wife worrying too much for the kitchen, for what to cook and for how I can help.

I remember years ago a friend told me when we went for biz diner in a restaurant that more dishes provided by the host is more respectable person, I remember i answered him ¨no way¨ , how come it can be possible?
I remember when we finished diner the left over were all over the table. I felt really bad because I knew all those food will go to the garbage.

In Latin culture these things as I know never happens.
In the US i witnessed something similar but in a wedding reception, I mean in some special events.

In China I see all over, in parties, family diners, restaurants,  except in westen restaurants where the food serving is different.

I told my wife many times when we have guests at home please to be moderate when cooking, we used to have some arguments about it at the end i complaint her telling while in other places people doesn´t have something for eating is not fair we waste food in irresponsable way, she only said that is very important to serve well to the guests but always there are some left overs.

So my question comes one more time, How many dishes is acceptable to serve  in  a Chinese diner table?

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 15:56:27 |Display all floors
In China,if the meal is abundant,then the guests will feel good,beause he/she is been regarded as VIP,eventhough this is a behavior of waste ,as the guests usually can not eat up all the delicious food!
This is just my own opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-5-29 17:07:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-5-30 17:53

"In Latin culture these things as I know never happens. "

in "slavian culture" hosts always want to be generous, and it also causes some waste (for example side-dishes, salads, snacks, all served "not on the plate")

but when it is at home - You can always find some use for leftovers ;) while at the restaurant... it is bigger problem

I observe a way to solve this problem in China.
When there are a lot of leftovers - sometimes after formally saying "goodbye" to  the guest, host asks restaurant to put it into boxes for take-away.
It is "half-way" sollution but it seems to work. Guest have "more than can eat" and there is "no need to serve rice", and most of the food is not wasted, because it is eaten at home.

I heard that "basic rule" is to have one "meat dish" counted for every person at the meeting, vegetables at will, and fruit at the end, rice is "last line of defence" :) and for not so "exclusive" meetings. Because "do You want a rice?" means: "are You full? if not - there are no more dishes, so rice is only way" {:soso_e113:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 17:24:43 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-5-29 17:07

in "slavian culture" hosts always want to ...

take-away method does not work all the time ,in China, most of people think it's shameful to pack leftover food when finish the meal ,and for the occasion serving guests at home , chinese used to cook many dishs to show their enthusiasm and generosity .if you want to explain to them what iis the waste to serve over-need food , they won't listen , coz this is China , and that's their tradition.
Il heurt de jouer avec le ciel .

follow your heart, touch your dream ,be yourself .dude !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-29 17:33:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-5-29 17:36
米洛.DeSTi Post time: 2013-5-29 17:24
take-away method does not work all the time ,in China, most of people think it's shameful to pack  ...

But I'm telling You that I SEE IN CHINA that many people pack leftovers.
Maybe it is still not "average behavior" but... I've seen it since 2006.

When friends come to my home - I have no problem, because I'm "crazy laowai", so my dishes are usually "half-way" between "western" and "eastern" cultures, both in taste and serving methods.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-5-30 12:28:10 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-5-29 17:07

in "slavian culture" hosts always want to ...
I heard that "basic rule" is to have one "meat dish" couned for every person at the meeting, vegetables at will, and fruit at the end

I heard same amount of dishes as the total number of eaters + 1. So for a table of 8 people there should be 9 dishes.

That's usually what I do and people are usually satisfied.

As for the leftovers, it's ok when you're going to restaurant with friends or family but it's still a big nono when you're organizing a big important dinner like a wedding or... a business dinner.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-30 12:36:51 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-5-30 12:28
I heard same amount of dishes as the total number of eaters + 1. So for a table of 8 people ther ...
but it's still a big nono when you're organizing a big important dinner like a wedding or... a business dinner.

I've seen a way how some hosts do it.
One person from the hosts (family, company) waits "to pay the bill" or "waits for an invoice" (if paying the bill was a show-off - as sometimes is). When guests go downstairs and wait in the car - leftovers are packed in the boxes, and carried out by the mentioned person (usually out of sight).

Yup, officially it is still "big nono"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.