The predecessor of Central Red Hospital—Gospel Hospital's former site sits at Donghou Alley of Changting county in Longyan city, Fujian. The Church of England set up the hospital in 1904, the 30th year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu. In 1925, the 14th year of the Republic of China, after the Anti-Imperialist of May 30, Fu Lianzhang took charge of the hospital.
The hospital was the first one serving the Red Army, having treated revolutionary leaders including Mao Zedong. In the beginning of the 22nd year of the Republic of China, the hopsital was moved to Ruijin, Jiangxi province and was renamed Central Red Army Hospital.
The former site applied civil structure and had an area of 1871 square meters. The hospital was surrounded by walls, with front part higher than the back. It houses 30 rooms, including auditorium, reception room, registration room, department of gynaecology, surgical department, department of internal medicine, pharmacy, laboratory room,operation room, nurses' offices, wards and a dining hall.
It was renovated in 1966 to its original structure. In 1988, The State Council listed the hospital in the third batch of Key National Cultural Heritage Protection Units.